DSI Tetra + Vermona DRM or Prophet 8 or Deopfer A100 ?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

tintin2085 wrote:
Rookas wrote:just buy some kind of controller for vst;]]] or go for mfb stuff maybe? semi modulars?
Semi Modular don't interest me. I have already an old keyboard and a PadKontrol for midi controller. What I have is to add analogue sound in my setup.

Did a Midi to CV module like the Doepfer 190 make a good work ?
the MFB synths can be expanded into a modular later on. they can do all kinds of crazy sh!t as well as decent bass, lead, percussion sounds.

they also double up as your midi to cv converter.

i don't know if your missing something, but it seems like everything you are asking for.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tintin2085 wrote:
Rookas wrote:just buy some kind of controller for vst;]]] or go for mfb stuff maybe? semi modulars?
Semi Modular don't interest me. I have already an old keyboard and a PadKontrol for midi controller. What I have is to add analogue sound in my setup.

check out the analogue solutions midi-cv convertors, theyre cheap (£100)

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/

or go for a used Kenton Pro 2 on ebay, i got one for £120

home built cases are possible but it will still cost you £100 for a doepfer DIY kit (includes PSU, bussboards, mounting rails etc.)

you can run two rows (6U) off those.

for awesome bass i recommend the Tiptop Z3000 VCO, Tiptop 2040 VCF (which includes a VCA and is astounding)

http://www.tiptopaudio.com/z3k.php?goto=specs

and you'll need an envelope, maybe Analogue systems RS60 -

http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/index2.htm

you can get cheaper equivalents from Doepfer,
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

tone-def wrote:
tintin2085 wrote:

the MFB synths can be expanded into a modular later on. they can do all kinds of crazy sh!t as well as decent bass, lead, percussion sounds.

they also double up as your midi to cv converter.

i don't know if your missing something, but it seems like everything you are asking for.
I haven't made big searches about the modualr world... because I was focused on the tetra. At the moment I'm getting more and more to the modular side. So I have a lot of questions about it :oops: It's very nice that you can evolve the setup easily.
Can I update a simple setup easily into a polyphonic one ? And for the futur what arpeggiator and little step sequencer did you suggest ?
What nice fast enveloppes did you suggest me ?
:lol:
Last edited by tintin2085 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

polyphony isn't quite the same in the modular world. i think steevio would do a better job explaining that.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

yeah tony is right, its best not to think polyphonic, i cant really explain that easily without going on another long rant, its best to try to forget everything you thought you knew about how to construct tunes and just experiment, and i dont mean it needs to be all weird and experimental,
the only way to find out is to get your hands on the modules - seriously !

the best sequencer IMO is the Doepfer A155 and controller A154 combo.
again i cant explain why that is easily, go on the Doepfer site and read the manuals over and over till you understand it.

snappy envelopes -
A143-2 quad ADSR- awesome,
Makenoise Maths - the swiss army knife module and superior envelope generator.

you need to do absolutely loads of research bro !

ignore what anyone says about the Muffwiggler forum, its an amazing resource, use it !

have you checked the modular synthesis thread ?

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

big plus one on all above.

Modular came along at the right time for me... I was going round in circles with a lot of decent but kinda uninspiring vsts. I'd touched analogue and new of it's powers but never found a full solution that I was happy with.

I was dreaming of using a 'real instrument', with a limited set of functions that you can explore inside out and every day find something new. And software didn't feel like that for me. (but it is a great tool to explore electronic sounds and mthods)

Modular has changed the way I think about making music, and it's only the begining for me... I still only have a few modules, but playing with them is a million miles away from how I used to appoach music from inside a computer. I haven't seen a single number or long timeline in a few months and I don't think I want to ever again. I can sit down and jam for 1 or 2 hours completely unrehearsed and be completely immersed. It has that thing of being like a kid in a forest, and wanting to explore. And when you have a patch set up that becomes self generating, and literally starts talking with you. To me this is how electronic instruments should be played.

It's a completely beautiful landscape, and still with so much to explore.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

i think the guy doesnt know what he wants, either he wants to be cool and have modular or i dont know ...
i offered semi modular ir has everything he wants and it doesnt fit his needs, because he just doesnt know anything about them.. sorry to be like this but IMHO stop and wait for atleast a year before buying anything
its all about the rhythm
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

the mfb semi modulars have the same moduls they sell for their modular system. only put in a case with some hardwiring. just for the peeps who might be interested in an mfb.
i was also thinking about to start a small modular system. my basic setup would have costed about 450,- euro with case, powersupply and the dark energy modul. the dark energy makes some nice basses. only one osc but it sounds good. but also a matter of taste. some people prefer the mfb sound for example in that pricerange. the point for me for starting with the dark energy module is that you can use it right out of the box.
this setup is just a bit more expensive than buying a dark energy synth.
also ineresting will be the mfb semi modular bass synth. its the competitor for the dark energy but with 2 osc and multifilter and a bit cheaper than the dark energy.
techno made me do it