techno isnt about the past, its about the future

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Nobody is denying that futurism hasnt played a role in the evolution of techno. Id simply argue that it's a lot more than that, its not the defining factor and its relevance as a concept in modern times is debateable. It must be remembered that the influx of mass synthesizer technology which was affordable to the masses at that time, could have had no other outcome but to provide the pedastool for groundbreaking and electronically forward thinking music. The whole electronic 'revolution' was inevitable. Technology made it happen.

The very nature of the machines gave rise to music based around concepts such as robots, sci-fi, futurism et al. These things were inevitable in this mass birth of synths and drum machines because their very nature gave a distinct nod to the future, a technological age and a milestone in music composition. Anybody of sound mind would have been making music 'of the future' when using this technology. But now, the concept of futurism doesnt have the same impact.

All of us have probably grown up in a world where synths and electronic music are commonplace, its no longer the 'technology of the future' its as bog standard as any other instrument. So the 'sci-fi', 'man machine', 'futurism' type of application doesnt really apply as it did back then. That time came and went and if anything, we ARE that time that they may have been inspired by.

So for me, the concept of futurism and its value in this argument about techno, is only really relevant at the time of the electronic music pioneers. Not now, not in our day and age. In a nutshell, the technology that became affordable to mass musicians, was 'out of this world'. It was an evolutionary step in the musical world and an extremely exciting and potentially groundbreaking time for musicians. But, it was always going to inspire the future, the 'electronic revolution' dictated that. The instruments and the future went hand in hand.

But like i was saying, to us, its not new technology and thus, doesnt inspire that same concept of futurism. To define techno as nothing more than futurism is kinda like trying to take the eggs back out of a cake. Its inseperable from all other ingredients and the only reason futurism existed as a form of inspiration was due to the synth 'revolution' and the birth of electronic music. We are well beyond that now and whilst techno is still going strong the themes it is based on must change. It was easier to come up with groundbreaking sounds and musical ideas back then because the technology was in its infancy and had yet to be explored. Potentially, it would have been relatively easy to have become a 'modern genius' if one were so inclined as it was all new undiscovered territory.

But yeah, futurism, it somehow doesnt carry the same weight in 2010, theres no historically groundbreaking music technology thats come about to support and warrant the use of the term like it did then.

Ive actually argued the term futurism but its still only a small slice of the cake. We have yet to mention funk, soul, electronic pop and jazz, delia derbyshire, kraftwerk, theres so much more to electronic music that isnt getting a mention.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:Nobody is denying that futurism hasnt played a role in the evolution of techno. Id simply argue that it's a lot more than that, its not the defining factor and its relevance as a concept in modern times is debateable. It must be remembered that the influx of mass synthesizer technology which was affordable to the masses at that time, could have had no other outcome but to provide the pedastool for groundbreaking and electronically forward thinking music. The whole electronic 'revolution' was inevitable. Technology made it happen.

The very nature of the machines gave rise to music based around concepts such as robots, sci-fi, futurism et al. These things were inevitable in this mass birth of synths and drum machines because their very nature gave a distinct nod to the future, a technological age and a milestone in music composition. Anybody of sound mind would have been making music 'of the future' when using this technology. But now, the concept of futurism doesnt have the same impact.

All of us have probably grown up in a world where synths and electronic music are commonplace, its no longer the 'technology of the future' its as bog standard as any other instrument. So the 'sci-fi', 'man machine', 'futurism' type of application doesnt really apply as it did back then. That time came and went and if anything, we ARE that time that they may have been inspired by.

So for me, the concept of futurism and its value in this argument about techno, is only really relevant at the time of the electronic music pioneers. Not now, not in our day and age. In a nutshell, the technology that became affordable to mass musicians, was 'out of this world'. It was an evolutionary step in the musical world and an extremely exciting and potentially groundbreaking time for musicians. But, it was always going to inspire the future, the 'electronic revolution' dictated that. The instruments and the future went hand in hand.

But like i was saying, to us, its not new technology and thus, doesnt inspire that same concept of futurism. To define techno as nothing more than futurism is kinda like trying to take the eggs back out of a cake. Its inseperable from all other ingredients and the only reason futurism existed as a form of inspiration was due to the synth 'revolution' and the birth of electronic music. We are well beyond that now and whilst techno is still going strong the themes it is based on must change. It was easier to come up with groundbreaking sounds and musical ideas back then because the technology was in its infancy and had yet to be explored. Potentially, it would have been relatively easy to have become a 'modern genius' if one were so inclined as it was all new undiscovered territory.

But yeah, futurism, it somehow doesnt carry the same weight in 2010, theres no historically groundbreaking music technology thats come about to support and warrant the use of the term like it did then.

Ive actually argued the term futurism but its still only a small slice of the cake. We have yet to mention funk, soul, electronic pop and jazz, delia derbyshire, kraftwerk, theres so much more to electronic music that isnt getting a mention.
this is a very well considered and pertinent post mate,

and to your slice of cake, i'd like to add; african music, where it all started, and for me the most powerful ingredient in techno.

lets just go whip up some techno.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

some really interesting points of view here.

i pretty much agree with everything AK said although i wasn't sure if he was attacking me out one point.
Indeed. The actual title of this thread is sad in itself, 'techno is not about the past its about the future'? Bollox! Its about whatever i want it to be about. Since when did anyone in this thread have the authority to dictate what other peoples music should or shouldnt be about. Absolute fecking nonesence!
i wasn't trying to dictate anything to anyone. i was just suggesting that techno may have gone past the future. i was questioning it's relevance in todays techno.
Its quite an aggressive thread title and implies he's the last word on techno and this is what everyone should be doing. Hmm right.
i certainly don't think it's what everyone should be doing, although most techno lacks a concept. i think it's important to have ideas and concepts if your writing music. we can't expect anything new to happen if people don't think about what their doing.
AnalogueDuke1
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by AnalogueDuke1 »

I love this thread and have been thinking about it for a few days. I think as people have already stated, futurism is, or a least was, a big part of Techno/dance music. This is, as stated, easy to see because these instruments were new. In fact , I think Carl Craig became interested in this stuff when he heard the album 'Switched On Bach', which itself was about classical musicians exploring futuristic means of presenting music. However, that's not to say you can't write a Techno record about something else i.e love, nature etc.

Is Techno still about the future? Well, it can be, easy. However, I agree, today it is perhaps more about the future from the perspective of the late 80's.

I think the reason for this, is dictated mainly by the technology, as it was to begin with. As someone has previously stated. We are not sonically making superior music with modern technology. Everybody got hacked off with the MP3, digital audio workstations, digital emulations of analogue Synths. Everyone's wants to put body and Soul into things, to sound like things did Pre-digitization. That's the obsession with looking backwards at the moment I feel. (That's not to say this has been done-over to the fullest extent and completed)

I think we can make futuristic Techno/dance music, with modern technology, when digital is better that analogue. "Better than analogue emulation." BUT, let's not forget that music is also human. A human expression. That's also, why we love pre-digitization.

In general, I think dance music should be future-spective, but as someone has also stated, this can also include retro inspiration. I think this is also a question relevant to all sorts of art, from Car design to fashion to architecture. Which have also grappled with the same issues. (What is to be done in a post modern society?)

I think as well, techno is about a feeling, a feeling of empowerment, a sideways look at the Soul, reflection and expression. And I also think, we like to do this with simplicity. We like the cleverness of expression in its succinctest form. The trickery of mono-lythic futuristic complexity. And we are always searching for the perfect record/sound. That's why we like to think it can always be done again better.

Quick word on the Pop music, I think the reason dance music is being plundered so heavily at the moment, was because hip-hop/r'n'b ran out of ideas/steam/ and needed to look for the future?!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

tone-def wrote:some really interesting points of view here.

i pretty much agree with everything AK said although i wasn't sure if he was attacking me out one point.
Indeed. The actual title of this thread is sad in itself, 'techno is not about the past its about the future'? Bollox! Its about whatever i want it to be about. Since when did anyone in this thread have the authority to dictate what other peoples music should or shouldnt be about. Absolute fecking nonesence!
i wasn't trying to dictate anything to anyone. i was just suggesting that techno may have gone past the future. i was questioning it's relevance in todays techno.
Its quite an aggressive thread title and implies he's the last word on techno and this is what everyone should be doing. Hmm right.
i certainly don't think it's what everyone should be doing, although most techno lacks a concept. i think it's important to have ideas and concepts if your writing music. we can't expect anything new to happen if people don't think about what their doing.
Haha, no not personal attack. Just arguing with what I read. Im old enough and ugly enough to keep my thoughts and opinions inside of a thread and never elsewhere. We all know that sometimes things are said that strike a sensitive note in us but its all in the heat of the debate and nothing more. Its good that we can get passionate about our music and whilst im certainly that, i never intend to sound attacking on a personal level.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

@ steevio. Yeah Afrikan music is definitely a massive influence,I was just trying to say that its hard to single any one single thing out as a defining factor, theres just so much more to it, more than we'd probably ever need to know.
astley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by astley »

steevio wrote:
AK wrote:Nobody is denying that futurism hasnt played a role in the evolution of techno. Id simply argue that it's a lot more than that, its not the defining factor and its relevance as a concept in modern times is debateable. It must be remembered that the influx of mass synthesizer technology which was affordable to the masses at that time, could have had no other outcome but to provide the pedastool for groundbreaking and electronically forward thinking music. The whole electronic 'revolution' was inevitable. Technology made it happen.

this is a very well considered and pertinent post mate,

and to your slice of cake, i'd like to add; african music, where it all started, and for me the most powerful ingredient in techno.

lets just go whip up some techno.

I have to agree on this point about african music aswell; whenever Im dancing at awakenings I always think about how close techno is to the first music made by humans. So you can have all those philosophies and visions about the future; if you look at it fom a distance its a real basic form of music just amplified with a lot of current; a case of the emperors new clothes maybe? :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

the first time i heard techno, it was the 909 kick which first grabbed me and hypnotised me into giving up a long career as a guitarist in a band almost overnight. i'd been making electrofunk on a Yamaha RX11 digital drum machine for a good few years, and i'd never heard a 909 before, everyone was going digital, 909 was old technology, but when i heard that deep pounding 4/4 kick on a huge sound system, i was completely entranced.

everyone now has heard that sound so many times that its almost unnoticed in a track, but to me then it was pounding a pathway into the future, i hardly noticed what the rest of the music was doing. i certainly had no idea of the concept behind what i was hearing, but that simple sound sounded so fresh and exciting.

its really hard for me to explain that moment of revelation, but it was followed a few weeks later by a tripped out moment at an outdoor party up in the hills, when i was standing looking up at the MilkyWay with this alien soundtrack of techno pounding away, and at that moment i knew i was on the edge of everything there is, that this was the music of a new tribe pushing the boundaries of humanity, squeezing every last drop out of the technology available, the real cutting edge of what was creatively possible at that time, and it made standing with a guitar on a stage seem like a sad dim memory of a time gone by.

the point of me saying all this, is that i can never get that feeling again, everything is too familiar, that was the future to me, now its the past.

so do i just pack it in, go do something else ?

of course not, why ? because i'm building and learning to play a new electronic instrument, that is good enough for me, who knows what will come of it, all i know is that that is the future for me. those old machines and those old sounds are the past for me personally. it doesnt mean i dont still like them or still want to use them in some way, it dosent mean i can't enjoy dancing to old techno, far from it.
and it doesnt mean that it doesnt sound like the future to a new kid at his first techno party.

who cares what concepts lay behind that proto-techno, who cares whether its the sound of the future or the past to other people, the only thing that matters to me is where does my own path go ? and what have i got to do to stay on it ?
Last edited by steevio on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.