small analog bassline synths...

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: small analog bassline synths...

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:expensive music gear with a short lifetime is a crime by the designers.
i'm on the fence about that one.

the thing is if everything was made with quality components in the UK or US or whatever, the gear would cost twice as much. personally i'm willing to pay for quality, but not many people are unfortunately.
as you know with the modular scene, everything is top quality, ive got a huge amount of potentiometers and switches, jack sockets, chips etc. in my modular and in 18 months ive only had one crackly pot, which was replaced instantly by the company ( Make Noise )

however it comes at a price. hand built, quality, low production run kit is never going to be cheap.

but i think the new hybrid analogue market is awash with gear that will simply not last. even my Moog Voyager has had dodgy encoder/potentiometers, and when they sent me new ones and i saw how cheap they looked, i figured i'm going to have more of those problems in the future.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yeah you're right there, there's always gonna be comprimises, and to get the prices down certain things are gonna suffer.

I think there's a middle ground between mass market and hand built, where the quality is still high, that is being explored ATM.

Malekko heavy Industry is a great example, that guy has made his costs as low is humanly possible with large production runs, automated soldering, and high quality parts. If you have a problem his answer is always 'send it to me and ill look at at it'.

Same deal with Livewire electronics.

I can't afford to many of them, but you should see the Wiard 300 series modules inside... all chips which are likely to fail in the next 20 years are socketed so you can put new ones in yourself. All the potentiometers are connected with sockets so you can just take the old ones out and put the new ones in without soldering. That's gotta be worth paying for to save costs down the line
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

deccard wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:AK - not sure what the mopho is like, but my prophet has has this weird clicking type noise whenever I go low down in the bass department. It's a noise that goes in betweeen the notes and is really annoying. If I was going to go for bass I would stay away from DSI just based on my experiences with the prophet.
i´m pretty happy with my mopho. would prefer to have a tetra actually but nothing to complain about it. dont heard any negative about that. compared to mfb which seems like hit and miss when you buy one.
The mopho doesn't have any encoder problems like the prophet. I actually may shell out the case for the potentiometer board. I was going to sell my prophet, but I'm finding my way more and more with it. The deoxit solution worked for my jumpy encoders, but I want a pot for the damn filter.

I've never used the prophet for basslines, so I can't comment on any clicking sounds.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yeah I would like to get the pot version, but I think I would rather put the money towards another synth.

The clicking sound is so annoying. I might email DSI and see what they say.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:
deccard wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:AK - not sure what the mopho is like, but my prophet has has this weird clicking type noise whenever I go low down in the bass department. It's a noise that goes in betweeen the notes and is really annoying. If I was going to go for bass I would stay away from DSI just based on my experiences with the prophet.
i´m pretty happy with my mopho. would prefer to have a tetra actually but nothing to complain about it. dont heard any negative about that. compared to mfb which seems like hit and miss when you buy one.
The mopho doesn't have any encoder problems like the prophet. I actually may shell out the case for the potentiometer board. I was going to sell my prophet, but I'm finding my way more and more with it. The deoxit solution worked for my jumpy encoders, but I want a pot for the damn filter.

I've never used the prophet for basslines, so I can't comment on any clicking sounds.
i dont know how long ago you bought your Prophet, but DSI offered to sell me the Pot board really cheap because i'd had problems, it was actually out of warranty at the time as well.
like i say DSI customer services rock.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

£200 they said to me.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

This. Exacty why I cannot use my tetra for bass. It just gets weird and unpredictable in the low frequencies. Sometimes I can make a good bass sound, most othertimes it just has too many bad artifacts (clicks, grainy, weird oscilations) that makes it unusable for bass.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

hydrogen wrote:
This. Exacty why I cannot use my tetra for bass. It just gets weird and unpredictable in the low frequencies. Sometimes I can make a good bass sound, most othertimes it just has too many bad artifacts (clicks, grainy, weird oscilations) that makes it unusable for bass.

sounds not normal...have you done some troubleshooting? new os etc?
techno made me do it