techno isnt about the past, its about the future

- ask away
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

One thing is for sure and someone touched on to it earlier - there are less dancers, less party people , certainly to me there are. EDM is in an OK state but I feel there are far too many people who take things way way too seriously.

Its about the music - lighting that joint, drinking that beer, doing whatever - getting those legs moving - thats techno to me at its animal best- lights out people getting down, dont care what they look like - pure hedonism.

I look at this perhaps a bit too simply but for me I take what I hear in my ears- If I like it I move - if I dont I move on.

Surely it doesnt matter if you take ideas from the past and keep on doing that - Techno will evolve its just that EDM is a bit of a low ebb at the moment - Keep the faith
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

jackbrazzo wrote:One thing is for sure and someone touched on to it earlier - there are less dancers, less party people , ------------------------------------------- its just that EDM is a bit of a low ebb at the moment - Keep the faith
you know i dont think there are less dancers, well at least in the UK.

tbh i'm starting to get sick of not being able to dance at clubs because the dancefloors are too full.

i dont think ive been to a party or club recently that hasnt been full to the brim.

i organise a EDM festival and its gone from strength to strength, selling out each year.

i remember a dark time at the end of the 1990s when the techno clubs were empty and it was because the music had gone sh!t.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i'm not interested in future or past particularly. I reckon those thoughts are from kinda the same trigger that initiates thoughts of fairies and elves (btw I like fairies/elves). I reckon playing whatever machines you can get with fucking feeling is most important.

This quote sums up some of where I'm at musically:

"We're takin over the country as of tomorrow. All right? That's it.. I've taken out a contract on the head of the C.I.A. he's dead in 6 months unless he quits. This is it. I don't trust nobody. I've got a hammer. Where's my hammer?"

Also Im bored of hedonism. I want more stuff considering the hopelessness of hopefulness (in a kinda political sense of constant global suffering). Music that makes you cry from the deepest part of your soul. Music that is acutely conscious of the pain and beauty in the world, but leaving room for interpretation.

Shackleton is someone who kinda fits this bill exactly.

Also, anyone who's not convinced of Throbbing Gristle's techno credentials... listen to "convincing people" over a massive fucking soundsystem.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

AK wrote:Music is personal, its a form of total individualism that has inspiration taken from a wide range of sources. Its how you interpret, digest and spit out that influence that defines you as a human.

fixd + my 2c
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

actually probably my most honest answer is 'fck knows'.

i'm just gonna do things and then look back at things and then do more things.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

oblioblioblio wrote:I want more stuff considering the hopelessness of hopefulness (in a kinda political sense of constant global suffering). Music that makes you cry from the deepest part of your soul.
Have you heard of a German guy called Paul Van Dyk? I think you'll like him, he frequently touches on these kinds of topics.

http://www.paulvandyk.com/
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

you have no space in yourself to consider the possiblitity of music to have meaning or soft sad haunted beauty?

you can be subtle with it and make it work in dance. e.g. 'blood on my hands'.

(edit... sorry i realise you were most likely just joking)
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

coldfuture wrote:
pafufta816 wrote:all sound which we percieve is in the past. all music is about the past, it was created there.
This is true, everything recorded is a snapshot of something that already happened.
i think, like many works of science fiction, that when we speak about futurism, that we are really just evaluating the present.

sci-fi written during the cold war almost always falls into using that era's tired rhetoric and propaganda, good vs. evil crap. this is also true of modern sci-fi, battlestar galactica was a wonderful meditation on religion (monotheism/polytehism) and war (america/afghan/iraq). i, Robot, a great example the fear in american culture that by being consumers that we are selling out, that we are killing the precious idea of individuality.

no scientific or mathematic evidence supports superluminal information. religion might suppose such a thing is possible, but journalism has no need for futuristic speculations. i acknowledge that we are digging into our present and past, looking for some path or clue that points the way beyond what we already know.

detroit techno's early imagery, as well as our modern perspective on that part of music history, all heavily reminds me of william gibsons short story "the gernsback continuum". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gernsback_Continuum. 1950's america was also fascinated with the possibilities of streamlined, dynamic, and gaudy futuristic landscapes. in hindsight it seems clear that the suburban gothic was an evaluation of america's value system at that time.