perfect arrangement

- ask away
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

brianc wrote:seriously, does everything have to have a formula? every track should be it's own independent thing. are you making tracks to make a djs life easy, or are you making tracks because you want to make tracks? are you laying out tracks according to a pattern or according to what works best for that sound?

if you end up making all of your tracks change exactly every 16 bars, you end up with something that feels robotic. change it up. do some things for 16, some for 8, maybe even some for 3. as long as your transitions are smooth, what's it matter?

and remember, djs can always make edits...

exactly. i don't see any point in making tracks which have changes exactly at this or that bar. i'm trying to look at it from another angle...like, what my feeling tells me, not the bar.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

well in making techno u should kinda have the sh!t in the grid. Like if u have beat going and u drop everything @ 13 and a half bar, it's going to feel weird. go for the 16 and then make other sht happen.
imho.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

kinda weird thing here because although its good to follow the rules...its also good to break them....in the end i think it doesnt matter what you do because its what you want that matters most, but if what you want is for other djs to play your track and have your record signed for whatever reason....then your going to have to follow some kind of structure in order to properly fit everyone elses sh!t
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: perfect arrangement

Post by steevio »

skept wrote:how important is it to you that your tracks are perfectly arranged?

for example(s):

the number of bars is a multiple of 16

major changes happen exactly at 64 or 128 or...

the track has a 32 bar intro a 128 bar main section and a 32 bar outro or something very well aligned like that

you get my drift i think...
i actually go out of my way to avoid doing things in 16 / 32 bars etc.
to me it's completely predictable and boring. i dont care if some DJ's cant handle it, it just means they arent very good DJ's.
if you work in 16 bar grids, it locks your tune into straight 4/4 loops, and therefore polyrhythms become truncated.
if i want to use alot of 5/4 and 3/4 in a tune, then i use a 15 / 30 / 60 bar grid, it makes everything more organic, and the changes in the tune happen at supprising and interesting places.
i use different grids with each tune.
techno music has its roots in tribal music, it's organic nature has been lost somewhat because of this 32 bar mentality.
i sometimes use a 32 bar intro to keep the DJ's happy, but then switch after that point, other times i just do what feels right.
there are no rules !!!!!!!!!!!!
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

I should break my grid :)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

provaznik wrote: a dj would be afraid to spin a record that didn't have a beat in it for the first 4 bars.
thats rubbish cos a) you don'ty have to start playing a track from the beginning anyway and b) you can beatmatch it on a portion with beats, then as long as it starts on a bar its easy to wind it back and let it play in from the beginning if you've matched it properly and as someone said, if theres any kind of pattern to it you can keep it in no problem :)
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

i always just press the record button smoke a spliff and let it come
--

dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

whatever feels right