using a ps2 pad in ableton

- ask away
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

very cool topic...does anyone know if this is supported on osx...it seems everything i am seeing is for a pc?
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

thanks loads for your replies, joy2midi is the one, spent all night gettin my head round it only to open ableton and find that the xy grid isnt midi controllable, JOY!
nikaj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nikaj »

yeah but aren't the parameters assigned to xy midi controllable? so you could assign those to the joystick maybe? or no?
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

nope, and the pad only transmits on the same channel for all buttons, i.e 1/16. In other words, you can only control 1 nob in ableton using all the buttons on the pad, total waste of time lol
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

MarcAshken wrote:nope, and the pad only transmits on the same channel for all buttons, i.e 1/16. In other words, you can only control 1 nob in ableton using all the buttons on the pad, total waste of time lol
There are other similar USB video game controllers out there that transmit on different channels but I can't remember the name. I saw a tech house live pa doing it. Honestly, I'd recommend just investing in a first generation Kaoss Pad. They can't be that expensive second hand, and the actual X-Y pad is extremely useful.
stutter
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stutter »

http://www.fireballtrailers.com/rejoice/help.html

this is another program, and I know there's another called mjoy. It's probably worth trying a couple since they sometimes don't support a particular joystick/controller. Of course, it could be down to how your controller works, but I'm fairly sure Rejoice allows different midi channels and cc's for different axis in a joystick.

I'm fairly sure that although you can't assign the x-y pad, you can click the extended list of parameters and midi learn whichever two you want, then if you set those into the x-y it should give you visual feedback.
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

I would also recommend getting a first or second gen kaoss pad, the xy pad jumps to 0 like u're looking for and the effects inside it are a beast anyways :).