liveset with just a drummachine

- ask away
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

hey there :)

i'm also doing live gigs with only the MD UW. I usualy stay in pattern mode and use 8 tracks. I use lots of Locks and LFOs to keep the sounds changing all the time, if only slightly. And i use the CTRL 8 machine to control the one parameter for each sound with the most drastic change when tweaked.
That's my preparation: Get a good loop with 8 sounds, parameterlocks and LFOs, and assign the CTRL 8 machine. Then during the set i will use Mute Mode and the CTRL 8 to improvise.
I don't have a fixed route or plan how the set will play out. I jam with a friend almost once a week and play out sometimes. From there i know my patterns and what will work. But there are always surprises :D

I listened to the MP3 you posted. You are right that the "ground loop" sometimes changes to fast, at least for my taste. You could let them play out a little bit longer, and subtily change some of the sounds over the course. Check out CTRL 8 :wink: Also you could use some sounds to build up from and down into the breaks. And the kick goes out too many times. It is nice to take it out and slam it back in. But use it less. It gets old very fast when used for every transition.
But else there is not much i could critisize. Very nice sounds and loops. There's a groove going on. You would keep me dancing for a long time 8)
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

Hey northernlight, fellow MDer.

Thanks for the tips on CTR-8, I have quite good skillz tweakzoring the CTR-AL (or FUNC + knob), but I will put some effort into searching good tweaks with a CTR-8. Also as I said I have achieved good results with the RAM machines.

Thanks for the tip on the bassdrum as well, you are totally right, and I realize it now that you said it :) I don't want to impro too much, I have one set with the MD where I impro a lot, and it's hard to keep the flow tight. And one of the goals for this set is to produce something really really clean with the MD, to know exactly what I'm doing and no good too much into tweak-hell.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

I suggest not listening to anything and just making it groove and play out and see what works. Don't become tainted by the norms... break rules and have fun... just my 2 cents.
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

don't worry measax, I won't lose my identity, this undertaking is geared specifically at understanding those rules and being able to follow. I can always come back to my "style" when I'm done with that :)
The_Glass_Olive
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The_Glass_Olive »

I think that it is very easy to get too wrapped up in your own perfection. I know this sounds odd, but from bitter experience, my first gigs were very nerve filled, some mistakes and generally I wasn't too pleased. Couple of really awful ones actually. When I started playing live it was even worse, instead of just worrying about the mixes I controlled the whole progression of the loops and constantly questioned EVERYTHING 'is this groovy?' has this been on too long?' 'am I using too much EQing or EFX?'

I quickly learned that 95% dont actually give a fck as long as they can party to it. And the rest who are actually listening properly probably won't even notice what to you seemed a big mistake. I know it seems obvious but if you have no DJ history it is an important thing to acknowledge, if you have fun you will be confident, and the crowd will appreciate this and you will be able to get away with riskier mixes. Take them along with you, and know its all part of a biggeer learning curve: every new show and new problem overcome is another string to your bow!

Good luck mate :wink:
Good luck
wesen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wesen »

THanks for the kind words :) I will try to not lose focus. On the other hand, I really want to make a tighter set. I have one set with just the machinedrum which goes down quite well with the crowd, and I have tremendous fun playing it, but I just want that more technoey feel, which involves having a very tight flow.

You can listen to the old one here: http://bl0rg.net/~manuel/edinburgh-kind-of.mp3 (massive amounts of tweaking heh)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I did a few live sets using only a Korg Electribe MX. I had to flow a set structure which made it hard to improvise. I didn't enjoy it that much so I stick to playing records.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Good job on the set. You've learned the box well. I liked it a lot.

75% of my own productions are just the Electron MD and a real 303. It's amazing how much fun you can have with just two boxes. Add some effects (through Ableton) and you're ready to rock the place.