- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

mrgreynoise wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Brian Ffar wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:For only 1 vinyl release I don't think you will be able to get a distribution deal. You can try but I don't believe it. They want something regular with constant releases, and for most distros you have to give them an example of the first 3-4 releases to get started there.

If it's only 1 release of vinyl, I would do a 2-300 copies press and contact the main recordshops and see if they would be interested and then have either the pressing plant sent it out to each shop ($$) or do it yourself.

Optimal, Pallas, MPO and so on are good pressing plants.
Mastering, we use Matt Colton from UK for mastering/cut, but there are also D&M in Berlin and tons more.
LH Audio is another mastering option in Germany - Oliver Lieb does a terrific job.
LH Audio
This Andreas from Schnittstelle
The Exchange
Rob Acid
Optimum
Matt Colton
D&M

and yeah... there are really a lot. Sometime is can be an idea to listen to records where you really like the sound, and ask the label which mastering guy they use... (can give you a hint of the sound they can do)
Thanks for the heads up guys. Indeed there's many options for mastering. The challenge is really on distribution, since we only want to start with 1 vinyl release. The label's profile is pretty good for a new label, like I said they had some beatport hits and they're up for the 2008 beatport awards. Good for marketing. Maybe the best thing would be to work with in collaboration with a label that already has vinyl distribution set up.
You could just do it yourself. I run a vinyl only label on the side of FOF and we do the distrubtion ourselves. It's not really that hard, just got to make sure you know what shops you want to send too and set up sale or return sheets.
mrgreynoise

Post by mrgreynoise »

::BLM:: wrote:
mrgreynoise wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Brian Ffar wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:For only 1 vinyl release I don't think you will be able to get a distribution deal. You can try but I don't believe it. They want something regular with constant releases, and for most distros you have to give them an example of the first 3-4 releases to get started there.

If it's only 1 release of vinyl, I would do a 2-300 copies press and contact the main recordshops and see if they would be interested and then have either the pressing plant sent it out to each shop ($$) or do it yourself.

Optimal, Pallas, MPO and so on are good pressing plants.
Mastering, we use Matt Colton from UK for mastering/cut, but there are also D&M in Berlin and tons more.
LH Audio is another mastering option in Germany - Oliver Lieb does a terrific job.
LH Audio
This Andreas from Schnittstelle
The Exchange
Rob Acid
Optimum
Matt Colton
D&M

and yeah... there are really a lot. Sometime is can be an idea to listen to records where you really like the sound, and ask the label which mastering guy they use... (can give you a hint of the sound they can do)
Thanks for the heads up guys. Indeed there's many options for mastering. The challenge is really on distribution, since we only want to start with 1 vinyl release. The label's profile is pretty good for a new label, like I said they had some beatport hits and they're up for the 2008 beatport awards. Good for marketing. Maybe the best thing would be to work with in collaboration with a label that already has vinyl distribution set up.
You could just do it yourself. I run a vinyl only label on the side of FOF and we do the distrubtion ourselves. It's not really that hard, just got to make sure you know what shops you want to send too and set up sale or return sheets.
Do you at least break even after the costs of mailing the vinyls to the shops?
Which shops do you distribute FOF/vinyl to, if you don't mind telling me?

Thanks,

Nick
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

FOF is distributed through Intergroove Germany.

We run another label which is what I was going on about. And to answer your question about breaking even, we do. Regarding shops, we send to all shops. The main ones would be Juno, Decks, Hardwax, Boomkat and BM Soho. It's just a case of you doing some research to find which shops want to take your stock.
mrgreynoise

Post by mrgreynoise »

Very cool. Thanks for all the info mate.
Jeronimo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jeronimo »

Good posts! It's always good to know that there are still people interested in releasing vinyl records.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

has anyone used phoenix of vinyl in london? i hear they're cheap but what is the quality like? for pressing.
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

http://www.downmixmastering.com

They do a pretty good job, and they are friends ! A bit of promo :)
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

patrick bateman wrote: Mastering, we use Matt Colton from UK for mastering/cut.
just had a track of ours done by him, was blown away with the job he did :shock: