Best all in one box for minimal

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

from what i've read about the spectralis is the OS is far from finished. I would wait until it can do everything it says it can.
computer controlled
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by computer controlled »

The original Spektralis won't ever be finished. He's moved on to a new version, the V.2. Looks cool, but again, highly expensive.
Synths:
SH-101.TB-303.Juno-1.EuroRack Modular Synth.Evolver.TX81Z.CZ-101
Drum Machines:
TR-707.Machinedrum UWmkI
And Various Effects
mimu.eu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mimu.eu »

daveashe wrote:What about korg electribes? You could probably buy the full set of them for the same price as one of those.
i agree, the electribes are pretty play'able and somehow musical, i do know not only just a few guys workin' and lovin' em, it's also a good 'accompanist' for playin' / jammin' live. on the other hand, i'd like to dive a lil' bit deeper into the product sheet of Native Instrument's Machine to see where the limitations are, bit, yeah, i'd need the DAW/Mac to run _with_ the Machine, so this is no hardware-only-solution. But for sure an interesting "toy" to explore ;-)
vasculator
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by vasculator »

i would highly recommend Maschine. there are some caveats to owning it right now (midi needs some help which isn't much of an issue for me) but it's my favorite piece of gear by far. it is much more fun to use than my machinedrum uw even which was pretty shocking to me.

if i could only have one box to make music with it would be Maschine and a fast computer. i immediately sold my mpc after about 2 days with it.
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by intellijel »

very interesting re: maschine. Can it do complex automation recording (better than MD?)

I like my MD for sound design but I hate it for real time interaction, I don't like the interface design choices. I definitely need to try a Maschine and see if it is worth selling my MDUWmkII.
vasculator
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by vasculator »

oh god yeah complex automation is it's forte imo. it can do realtime and step-level 'parameter locking' just like the md except it actually records them perfectly each time :)

it's interesting how you use the md for sound design and not for the 'realtime interaction'. i'm probably in the opposite boat as i literally hate it's sound most of the time but i love to use it live aside from a few annoying things.

but yes...if you like the md for sound design you will freak out using maschine.
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by intellijel »

vasculator wrote:oh god yeah complex automation is it's forte imo. it can do realtime and step-level 'parameter locking' just like the md except it actually records them perfectly each time :)

it's interesting how you use the md for sound design and not for the 'realtime interaction'. i'm probably in the opposite boat as i literally hate it's sound most of the time but i love to use it live aside from a few annoying things.

but yes...if you like the md for sound design you will freak out using maschine.
what I mean by sound design is the the type of controls it offers and especially the P-lock functionality. I find that the sound is far too lo-fi and it never sounds right to me when using it in tracks. I know some people love it and say that you can get warm sounds if you work at it or use some post processing. On top of this it is a hassle to manage samples (with no names) and only have them in mono....
I am really into analog modulars these days and the money I could get from selling the MD could probably be better used towards a maschine and more modular stuff instead/
vasculator
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by vasculator »

ah i see what you mean now. totally agree on all fronts. the UW functionality just never quite worked out for me. it was definitely an afterthought upgrade by elektron. props to them for doing it but it is definitely a hack.

the md very much has a particular sound to it. i can pick the trxb2 out of any track now. the ruinwesen minicommand helped matters for me by extending and correcting a few of the issues. i'll never sell the md because i know it so well but i would highly recommend selling your md if you aren't attached to it, getting a maschine, and putting the extra funds toward more modules. if i had to pick between maschine and the md, i would not even hesitate to go for maschine. it sounds amazing and i now have my complete sample library available at my fingertips from the controller alone.