Massive Breaks and Effects in Tracks

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

I somehow feel you're experiencing the blur between tools and tracks somehow.

And to be clear i'm not really for the 30sec noise blasts breaks.
However a break, with or without white noise does help to create a stucture in a track and make it a voyage. That's one of the main reason for building such long tracks in techno, as you can really make it a journey. It's then up to the producer to define the landscape of that trip. It can be done with very little detail changes, like studio1 (which i really adore, but keeping tracks interesting the way he does is simply too hard for me), or it can be done with beatless breaks, that can build tension in different ways.

As a dj, i often feel one is more a track selector, making sure each journey flows nicely to the other. Rather than a painter effectively drawing the sonic landscape live for the audience.

Maybe you'd be more interested in using tools such as traktor and live to dj. As they'd allow for much more editing freedom and offer better "painting" tools.

sorry for the mumble...
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

Some tracks need a breakdown, some are best as tools. DJs need both in their box.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

so breakdowns are the difference between a tools and tracks?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

its not my opinion that no track should have any breakdown ...

i expressed my feeling that more tracks sound like a live cut from a DJ set. So i play a track and i have to do nothing more because i know

at minute 3:30 the producer take away the bass for 30 seconds so its pointless if i do it on my mixer

and at minute 5 the producer apply a filter which sounds exactly like when i would apply my xone filter to the track, so again pointless to do it.

and in my opinion there is a certain thought behind this tracks,
to create a track which is in a way perfect and need no further mixing or editing cause it has its on effects, his own climax his own breaks.

and dont get me wrong, im speaking about a specific kind of break. The kind which lasts 30 seconds and try to build up the ultimate tension befor releasing it ....

Its not like i would want one boring track with no change at all, but the change dont should occur in such a simple way ..
The best tracks out there are the tracks where you cant say what detail exactly makes the track good, where simply every little detail add up to an amazing track. And not one big filter climax .. or one long break with much noise

thats to simple.. in a negative way
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Themis wrote:thats to simple.. in a negative way
+1.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

tone-def wrote:so breakdowns are the difference between a tools and tracks?
If a track is a 7 minute loop without any major alterations, i would call it a tool (hehe), but if it breaks down, builds up energy, progresses over time, than it's more of a track. Just my opinion on it
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

boudo wrote:
tone-def wrote:so breakdowns are the difference between a tools and tracks?
If a track is a 7 minute loop without any major alterations, i would call it a tool (hehe), but if it breaks down, builds up energy, progresses over time, than it's more of a track. Just my opinion on it
yeah, I have to agree. Not many tracks can hold a constant groove without a break now and then. Of course not all tracks needs a 30-60 second break down with big drum roll and white noise and stuff, but still.
Saying that a track shouldn't have this because it's the DJ's responsibility to build this tension is a bit strange in my ears.

And if it's such a big problem, then why don't you just play all the mountain people tracks in your sets and let it groove 8)