How do you.........

- ask away
aciduss
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by aciduss »

tone-def wrote:i wonder if aliens make music...
They do ;)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

that would be interesting.

it would be awesome if they had a completely different cultures, lifestyles, organs etc etc but still had really similar music to us.

also perhaps they have different sensory organs and sense music differently, but maybe the basic idea is the same with their music.

or maybe they're too far technologically advanced and we're still kinda banging logs and grunting compared to them.

or maybe they burnt out their planet already.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How do you.........

Post by hydrogen »

Torque wrote:"How do you make a sound that nobody else has made in the history of the universe?"
Why doesn't anybody ever ask that question?
Is experimentation dead?
Nice one torque! I think this is because there isn't any direct target to hit with this... so both the question and answer are quite ambiguous right?

I think perhaps some have forgot to experiment. I do like some of the recent suggestions on "how do i create this sound"... "to use specific envelopes, try working with this or that..." probably some of the best suggestions to the answer... rather than a tutorial to create the exact same thing.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How do you.........

Post by sven laux »

cytoplasm wrote:
Torque wrote:"How do you make a sound that nobody else has made in the history of the universe?"
Why doesn't anybody ever ask that question?
Is experimentation dead?
because people experimentin dont have time to ask those questions.
:)
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

I'd like to see people embracing the flaws with in the box made music. Kind of like what Marcel Dettmann did on his MDR006. Digital clipping and so on. Kind of feel this is an area that could be explored alot and I'm hoping to do it.

Good thread Torque.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

oblioblioblio wrote:

it would be awesome if they had a completely different cultures, lifestyles, organs etc etc but still had really similar music to us.

also perhaps they have different sensory organs and sense music differently, but maybe the basic idea is the same with their music.

or maybe they're too far technologically advanced and we're still kinda banging logs and grunting compared to them.

yeah, maybe they can hear frequency ranges we can't so their music to us sounds terrible but to them it's amazing.

or maybe THEIR technology is NOT so advanced and WE'RE the "aliens" with all the crazy technology? 8)
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

If people want to experiment a little more with sounds, buy a field recorder. Recording the world and working with those sounds opens up a whole new way of creating sounds.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Depre wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:

yeah, maybe they can hear frequency ranges we can't so their music to us sounds terrible but to them it's amazing.

or maybe THEIR technology is NOT so advanced and WE'RE the "aliens" with all the crazy technology? 8)
it's interesting how aliens, their cultures and technology could be different. i'm sure animals and intelligent life throughout the universe have developed similar sensory organs to detect light, touch, smells, taste and sound. life on other planets would probably evolve in a similar way and they would need those things to find food and avoid being food.
aliens might have mastered space travel but maybe they are less advanced in other things like the arts or having communication systems like the internet. they might never have developed drums and only have acoustic instruments and know nothing about harmony.