New monitors...Kinda!!

- ask away
Myfirstcasio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Myfirstcasio »

Yeh, I have the Yamaha HS80's and love them, but the HS50's are great for the price, if not a bit "bright" in colour.

The issue with getting 8 inch cones is that you need the space for them but I agree, for dance music 5 or 6 inch can be a bit restricting.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

I ended up buying a pair of KRK rockit 5's, and after 3 weeks(today), i'm dissapointed!! There isn't enough low end, you just don't feel it. Some guy is willing to pay 350$ for them, I paid 400$. Should I bite the bullet and lose 50$, and just start saving up for a better pair??
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

i think you should save a little more , or just find some more cash right now ... maybe sell them a bit later ... but best bet would be sell and buy another instead it would be much easier now , cause you know what you want ... just borrow some money or idk rob a bank?
its all about the rhythm
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Yeah, I'd rather sell them now, cause there really new and i'll get more money for them. I thinking that maybe I shoul;d replace them with the KRK rockit 6's.I don't want to spend more than 700-800$, but i want something with decent low end.Anyone have the 5's or 6's, feedback??
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

Myfirstcasio wrote: Fostex have a great, meaty sound too for that price but are probably better for fun than production. I found that they have very coloured sound and make crap mixes sound good, which is bad.

I have a pair of the fostex PM-1s and have never found this problem. Have always (according to my friends andyways) had positive feedback on my mix down and mastering. However, what I do find with them is tat when run loud (and with an 80w bass amp and 40w treble amp per cab they go very loud!) you can sometimes get some port noise as the air rushes out the ports.

Overall tho a great set of spekaers. I recently upgraded to a pair of Aura SP-50s tho I still use the fostex as well.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Raddler wrote:Yeah, I'd rather sell them now, cause there really new and i'll get more money for them. I thinking that maybe I shoul;d replace them with the KRK rockit 6's.I don't want to spend more than 700-800$, but i want something with decent low end.Anyone have the 5's or 6's, feedback??
do not hesitate to go in a physical store and compare them against the yamahas, samsons, and the other ones in that price range.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Listening in a store is a must really. But there are a couple of things to be aware of before you go;
They might sound good in store and rubbish at home. Due to smaller space, room dimensions...etc
Another thing is that you kinda need monitors that sound revealing. Monitors that have a hyped bass and highs might seem a bit familier to a Hi-Fi sound. The familiarity will sound pleasing to a first time buyer. But what you create won't translate very well.

At a studio I used to use they had a set of Mackie H824's which were really bass heavy with smooth highs. To me they sounded great. However when I took those mixes elsewhere they sounded really bright and had odd problems in the bass end.
In the same room they had Yamaha Ns10's, which to me sounded awful. They had a really squarky nasty little sound. But what I made on them sounded really good elsewhere. If I could make somthing sound good on them it would probably sound good anywhere.

So that pair that sound great instore might be just masking the truth.

At the same time tho, I would find it really difficult to make a tune on just Ns10's. They sound so wierd that I find it hard to buzz about what I am doing. With the Mackies I think im Richie Hawtin, which is sometimes a good thing. It helps me keep interest in what im doing.

Hope this is some help to you. Im upgrading from Krk Rp5's at the mo. So I know the minefield you walk!

Ali