percussion synth

- ask away
Armando_C
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Armando_C »

I think that you should get the KREATE by Speedy J produced by FIXED NOISE.
I've it, and it's what you are looking for.
You can build a track using only the Kreate..you can do kicks, snare, percussion, synth, fx and more!
I mean, it's not an external hardware and you can't really do your own sound, but i think it's gonna be really good for you..also the sounds are really well done..so check this out.
Link here: http://fixednoise.com/kreateSL.htm
Hope that this is gonna help you.
Sorry for my bad english.
Cheers
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

Armando_C wrote: I mean, it's not an external hardware and you can't really do your own sound, but i think it's gonna be really good for you..also the sounds are really well done
How is that anything like what he was looking for. You're basically telling him to get a plugin with a bunch of loops/samples in it and he wants to program his own percussion using a synthesizer.

Apples =!= Oranges
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Maiyal wrote:
Armando_C wrote: I mean, it's not an external hardware and you can't really do your own sound, but i think it's gonna be really good for you..also the sounds are really well done
How is that anything like what he was looking for. You're basically telling him to get a plugin with a bunch of loops/samples in it and he wants to program his own percussion using a synthesizer.

Apples =!= Oranges
Hehe, it's actually just a Kontakt patch...
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
locket
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by locket »

mm someone has just recommended waldorf to me, i was looking at it earlier is it any good for minimal.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

damagedgoods wrote:
Stomper wrote:Are you looking for a drum machine or synth?
you can make drums and percussions with subtractive and FM synths. but youll need an instance for each sound.
with drum machines usually you can only adjust a few parameters but you also have a built in sequencer.
Synth. Some are more versatile than others when it comes to synthesising drums - different envelope shapes, different envelope destinations, etc. Was just wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations apart from microtonic and attack...
I have a Vermona DRM-1 for subtractive drums, but usually i like FM better.
I really like Rob Papens Blue. you can use it as subtractive or FM whatever you like.
you can adjust the envelope curve however you like or to draw your own.
The only drawback is that the FM algorithm is kinda limited. but they already said their going to change it in Blue 2 which is in progress atm.
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

I use and abuse mTonic. Its good, and makes me smile.
KrisM
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by KrisM »

I've been using DrumSpillage since it launched a few days ago. It's currently Mac/AU only. 16 pads with tons of modulation and parameters, and each pad can use one of 11 modules to start crafting a sound. The dev is working on an FM module to add in an update.

It'll even do whooshes, bleeps, blips, crunches, explosions, zooms, zips, zaps, etc as well as kicks, snares, claps, hats, noise, etc.

The UI is pleasing to me, and I enjoy the workflow.

http://www.audiospillage.com/
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I like a lot of the percussive/drum sounds you can get from FM and Additive synthesis ( FM8 & Absynth ) If you are prepared to sample a lot of sounds, you can make some really interesting noises to add to your sample library, or indeed sequence/automate these synths for something a bit more evolving and organic. I'm no whizz with either of these synths but I quite like that, by manipulating existing sounds I tend to arrive at something far from the original but interesting nonetheless.

Most synths with really fast attack envelopes are capable of spitting out decent percussive stuff, I recently got the DCam synth squad plugins and have been finding new sounds with those. The arpeggiator makes for useful percussive grooves esp with the swing function enabled and adding a synced LFO yeilds cool results too.

Also, back to creating and sampling sounds, I still make many noises on drumsynth, the standalone app. I use this as a reference to dial in frequencies that relate to notes to get things in tune with what I'm working on: http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/freqtab.htm ( just copy and paste the hz value related to the note in the tone columns )

So you can pretty much create sounds built of the right harmonics based on your current key sig. Total control with this thing and although it takes a little work, if you delve deep you can create some really nice sounds. Further processing when sequenced brings them to life a bit too. Overlooked as it can be tedious but a def must have imo for total control one shot sounds ready to be sampled off.