Great Interview with Robert Henke about Production

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i'm sorry but what did you find interesting points of this interview?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Brankis wrote:its a great interview but he's being a bit elitist about the gear thing. while i agree that the gear/software you use does not matter. i think with computer music its creatively healthy to be kind of obsessed about your tools and discovering new ones. it's easy to say something like that when you've been doing music for 25 years and used every tool but that technical motivation i think is important to be there to drive creativity. i get inspired by my tools and getting new ones all the time. some things stay and some things go over time depending on the workflow adaptability but all of them inevitably influence your process and give you more diverse experience
i totally agree

ive got healthy respect for robert and monolake, one of my favourite labels,
and i agree with most of what he says, but i cant accept that obsession with the tools somehow equates to bad workmanship.
is it not the obsession of the artist to use the best tools, and that of the designers to perfect them on their behalf which drives any technology forward ?
Last edited by steevio on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Brankis wrote:its a great interview but he's being a bit elitist about the gear thing. while i agree that the gear/software you use does not matter. i think with computer music its creatively healthy to be kind of obsessed about your tools and discovering new ones. it's easy to say something like that when you've been doing music for 25 years and used every tool but that technical motivation i think is important to be there to drive creativity. i get inspired by my tools and getting new ones all the time. some things stay and some things go over time depending on the workflow adaptability but all of them inevitably influence your process and give you more diverse experience
I think maybe you're misreading him. It doesn't sound like he's anti-gear-obsession per se, rather that he sees more value in learning to use the tools you have than blindly obsessing over new ones - and I totally agree. I mean, discovering new tools is great, but I take it you'd agree that it's only great when the new tools do something that your old tools don't? Most of the plugins out there do largely the same thing and a lot of the time you can get the same result just by knowing how to use the ones you've got.

On their own, the Ableton fx are pretty bland, but increasingly I'm finding new and interesting ways of using and combining them that make them much less so. I like how they're rigged in such a way that allows for a lot of options (esp. regarding flexible sidechaining).
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Carmen58
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Carmen58 »

tone-def wrote:i'm sorry but what did you find interesting points of this interview?
He speaks about synthesis, how he sees the sound, how he handle the sound. I've found that this, it's interesting ! ;)
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

"blah blah blah, you can do anything with ableton live you don't need other plugins..", that just sounds like a hidden advertisement to me
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

true words from robert.
siddhu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by siddhu »

MagpieIndustries wrote:"blah blah blah, you can do anything with ableton live you don't need other plugins..", that just sounds like a hidden advertisement to me
I think your misinterpreting what Robert is trying to say. It's not about Live per se, but that within almost any DAW, is enough power and tools to produce great music.

Our limitations are not the tools anymore, but our mastery and understanding of them. The quest for that one extra plug-in that is going to make my career, or focusing to much on GAS, or the plug-in version of it by having 20 different compressor plug-ins but not really going deep and learning to use really well what you already have, is counter productive and distracting from the real goal of producing cool tunes.
Carmen58
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Carmen58 »

MagpieIndustries wrote:"blah blah blah, you can do anything with ableton live you don't need other plugins..", that just sounds like a hidden advertisement to me
Wooh ! :shock: You are so pessimistic. It would be maybe change your vision. To have an a more open spirit. You shouldn't see the black everywere. ;)

I say that, I say anything.
siddhu wrote:
I think your misinterpreting what Robert is trying to say. It's not about Live per se, but that within almost any DAW, is enough power and tools to produce great music.

Our limitations are not the tools anymore, but our mastery and understanding of them. The quest for that one extra plug-in that is going to make my career, or focusing to much on GAS, or the plug-in version of it by having 20 different compressor plug-ins but not really going deep and learning to use really well what you already have, is counter productive and distracting from the real goal of producing cool tunes.
Yes !