mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

logic is the best!
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I have been reading about Studio One, everyone seems to love it. Its getting people changing from all other DAW's. From what I have read the workflow is supposed to be very slick, and they have excellent user support. But its still early days, and some features are not yet available.
Studio One doesn't have all the plugins I am after really. I like that logic comes with a pitchshifter and noise reduction. At college I used the waves pitch shifter and noise reduction quite a lot so it would be nice to have these at home.
I do use a fair few softsynths, but I dont try to use 400 instances of Massive or anything. I bounce a lot, and like to edit stuff as audio.
I really want to experience the audio editing in logic. As this is what I spend most of my time doing. I am pretty used to cubase's arrange page editing.

Its just a shame I have to buy before I try with logic.

Thanks for your reply's guys
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

not really worried that you won't like Logic, it's great stuff. But I'm rather uncertain that you'll have enough 'vroom' with your Mac Mini. Especially if you plan on using tons of plugins etc etc. Not that I've ever seen my iMac get short of breath with Logic, but Abelton surely sometimes went flat on its back. So I guess that's possible with the less powerful MacMini.

As for as Mac OSX goes: since Windows7 I wouldn't be quite so sure that Mac OSX is better or more stable. After years of Mac I'm seriously considering to buy a Windows7 machine because that OS is just rock solid and does what must be done.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

@ Lem,

Psy tox might be right about the processing power of the mac -mini, but if you check out the refurbished macs they are really cheap and ship like new. A 21'5 Imac goes for 8-900$. Also, if you can get yourself to an Apple store where you live, just bring a pair of headphones and go try Logic on their computers for a few hours or all day for that matter. The staff usually could'nt care less!! It's what I did before getting it.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I am not so worried about processing power, I currently use a 2ghz C2D pc laptop and it is really serving me pretty well. If things get heavy on the CPU I just bounce to an audio file. It helps me commit more on certain things. Sometimes I wish I had more grunt. But im not really willing to spend more than £700 (ish) on a computer again. I find it easy to think that I need the best processors loads of ram etc....but even relativly cheap systems are better than my first pc, and I could produce good results with that.
If OSX and Logic use more CPU power than windows, there I might find issue. But if its similar to a pc then I think I am good.

I am interested about windows 7 tho. Vista was a piece, so I am curious about 7. We have it at work and it seems a bit lame to me, but the computers are not really built for w7.

Its just the comparative cost for a PC with cubase, and a Mac with logic is pretty close.
Its a good idea to try it in a shop tho..

Thanks for the replys guys!
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I would also think twice before getting a mac mini. Go at least for the imac, they got some good power.
But again, I wouldn't today go for any computer running on the core 2 duo technology, I would surely go for an i5/i7.
This might be out of your league $$ wise, but then maybe do some saving up?

But mac mini, no.

Edit: Besides that, switching to Mac/OS X, 2 years ago was the best thing I have ever done computer wise.
Edit 2: Windows 7 seems to be a rock solid OS.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

i dont really get this whole daw changing and then changing to mac. aokay it might be out of your ideas but ableton has great instruments and some quite nice effects, you could buy a pc with windows 7 and you will save money and will get more power ( computerwise). best would be to go to shop and check logic, is it really worth all the hassle? okay if you have a mac then it might be worth a shot, but now buy old technology to get another daw.. its your workstation and it will serve you not a year maybe 2 or 3 ( just guessing because your trying to save). get atleast i5 , c2d isnt bad , but doesnt compare to i5's and i7s
its all about the rhythm
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I don't really like ableton. I have given it a good go, but I just dont really like the arrange view. Its just personal preference really.
If I was going to get a pc I would stick with cubase, it just seems to expensive for what you get. I could be wrong tho..

The only reason I considered switching to a Mac was because of the price of Logic and the apparant stability of the OS.

Im not really with the whole i5/i7 thing. I think they are just too much for what I actually use. I can't really see any plugin's that I will want to use that will require a massive amount of processing power.
I could be completely wrong.
So far I am doing ok with my c2d laptop. The Mac mini is more powerful than my laptop. So I would have thought that it would run what I want to run.

I could get a i5/i7 it wouldnt take me that long to save up for, but then with the added cost of cubase it really starts to mount up. Then when my PC die's its a lot of money down the pan.

Sorry if this post is a bit messy, im at work. :(