Monitors...

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i think you should save up a bit more and buy something with better low end.

i don't see it happening anytime soon but i'd love a pair of PMC monitors.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

if you're used to bottom end bro, whatever you do dont buy monitors which can't reproduce what you're used to. you'll hate them from day one.

i dont know how the dubstep guys would be even able to make music on monitors which are curtailed below 60 Hz.

i use mackie HR824 s and i love them. i hear people say theyve got too much bottom end, but i find them absolutely neutral for my purposes.
i really need to hear the bass, and i work with bass notes down to D (37Hz) sometimes C (33 Hz).

i think the trend in alot of dance music these days is stop at 60 Hz to get an ultra loud mix, but for me its missing out on a whole octave of vibrations.
supergroover
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by supergroover »

victorjohn wrote:I have had the opportunity to use and test just about every high end powered monitor out there, from Adam S3A to Barefoot MM27 in our bigger studio.

Having said that, I can't say enough good about Dynaudio. I have the bm6a now in the smaller room and they are simply amazing.

I would never spend my money on anything else. They are rich in detail, honest in translation, and are somehow so amazingly low fatigue... I can work for hours.

A true workhorse of beautiful sound.
+1 Love dynaudio's BM6A. A lot nicer to work with than any others I have heard so far. It is worth to save up imho.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:if you're used to bottom end bro, whatever you do dont buy monitors which can't reproduce what you're used to. you'll hate them from day one.

i dont know how the dubstep guys would be even able to make music on monitors which are curtailed below 60 Hz.

i use mackie HR824 s and i love them. i hear people say theyve got too much bottom end, but i find them absolutely neutral for my purposes.
i really need to hear the bass, and i work with bass notes down to D (37Hz) sometimes C (33 Hz).

i think the trend in alot of dance music these days is stop at 60 Hz to get an ultra loud mix, but for me its missing out on a whole octave of vibrations.
I'm with you, although I suffer with really bass heavy monitors because of the size of my room. I have owned the mackies and I have owned some Alesis m1 actives, both had way too much bass for my room I feel. So much so that it swamped up the mid section and actually hearing anything other than bass was extremely difficult. I guess I could have looked more into improving the acoustics of the room but I still feel it's vital to consider the monitor and the room size as a complete package.

Those m1's said they cut off at 38hz, I think to handle those sorts of low frequencies, you need to have a good monitoring room, just worth bearing in mind.
dazza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dazza »

I worked at Digital Village (Romford Head Office) for 6 years until recently. If you order online you can use their 30 day return policy so it gives you little time to test them in your own studio space. Order both and return the pair you don't like. This only applies to online purchases though, not from stores. Adam and Dynaudio's are the best in that price bracket. The Adam's are lacking in bass but are good for a second pair for A-Bing. Adam build quality is suspect sometimes. We had quite a few Adam A7 come back faulty from customers, hardly had any Dynaudio's. I have owned a pair of BM6a Mk1's for 5 years and wouldn't change them for anything else, well maybe a pair of Event Opals if I had the money. My tracks always translate perfectly on other systems. However, it's all about personal taste and getting to know your monitors in your studio space. Hope this helps.
Salomo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Salomo »

AK wrote:
steevio wrote:if you're used to bottom end bro, whatever you do dont buy monitors which can't reproduce what you're used to. you'll hate them from day one.

I'm with you, although I suffer with really bass heavy monitors because of the size of my room. I have owned the mackies and I have owned some Alesis m1 actives, both had way too much bass for my room I feel. So much so that it swamped up the mid section and actually hearing anything other than bass was extremely difficult. I guess I could have looked more into improving the acoustics of the room but I still feel it's vital to consider the monitor and the room size as a complete package.

Those m1's said they cut off at 38hz, I think to handle those sorts of low frequencies, you need to have a good monitoring room, just worth bearing in mind.
yes, i have had the same experience with mackies hr824. they are definitely more mid- than nearfields.. kind of frustrating, I didn't expect it, stupidly. you can ofcourse grab a huge sledge hammer for some acoustic treatment :). experiences with monitors are very diverse i see, it's down to taste i guess (after proper acoustics ofcourse).

i have Adam P11A's now. response sounds flatter tenfold than what i had with the mackie's, they also translate quite nice to other speakers. (not ripping on mackie's btw, still have them as backing double where they really do well for me)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

There is no way I can save up anymore you see, as I have a family to think about with a limited income. I was tempted to sell my Events, but I guess I could keep them and use two pairs of monitors. I use a lot of freq's around 40Hz (for my dub techno stuff), so I assume it’s a must to have monitors that will go down that far. I just want my mixes to sound better on a variety of speakers and I feel the Events colour the sound too much. I’ll have a track rocking here, play it out and it sounds totally different. The Events also have a bit of weak high end as I often miss unwanted frequencies. I’m going to try some out tomorrow if I have the time, and then go from there.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

adams go down till 46hz the new a7x to 42hz but anyway for bass heavy stuff its still not enough. if you want to be 100% sure you should by a subwoofer. doesnt need to be an adam.
from mailorder shops like thomann you can send the equipment back and get your money back in 30 days. enough for testing. dont know about uk though....
btw i just read the bm5a have less bass than the a7...50hz...

a7 are far more used in that pricerange.
techno made me do it