golden ratio>fibonacci sequence...

- open
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

Being a Physicist I've thought about algorithm based music quite a lot..

I'm sure you could do things like set up filters on a synth to change by the ratio each bar or something...

I think the golden ratio is in the body a lot too, something like the distance from your navel to the floor and your head to the floor is the golden ratio...

Standard TV sets are also built to the golden ratio I think...
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Renze »

mayzee wrote: I think the golden ratio is in the body a lot too, something like the distance from your navel to the floor and your head to the floor is the golden ratio...
I think Da Vinci used the Golden Ratio to describe the perfect proportions for the male body in the Vitruvian man. Not sure though, but I do know a lot of painters (including Da Vinci) used the Golden Ratio in their compositions.

plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

yes, it's true renze...vitruvian is the mark of perfection. :D
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

So would it be possible to programme a computer with the different sequences needed and actually let it create music itself?? That would be interesting - techno created by technology itself. People often describe techno as machine funk, so what would it sound like if a machine actually created it? Remove the human "emotional" element and see what the machine makes.

(I'm feeling imaginative today. Being unemployed is great!!)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

ahaha, you and me could make a mnml usergroup named "unemployed minimalists"

um, some people are involved in making music with equations and there are also programs which can generate that sort of stuff. yet, some ppl use fractals for that matter also...

fractals are abstract mathematical objects which, as such, cannot be seen or heard, but their structure can be used to model computer generation of images that may be visually very attractive. Fractal images have been popular for more than a decade, but I think we are just scratching the surface of the possibilities of fractal music. The compositions on this page aim to explore some of these possibilities, showing that recursive algorithms can be employed to create music of the same strange beauty as the richly decorated fractal picture at the side .

go to download page and check the program

http://www.fractal-vibes.com/fm/index.html

um, i don't know how many of you listen to boards of canada, but try to listen a is to b as b is to c track... it's made thru the principle of golden ratio. same thing is with "the devil is in the details" altho they never disclosed which math equation was used there.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

This could be useful maybe...?

http://www.audiosynth.com/

Just d/l it... looks pretty in depth stuff...

perhaps this'll be a way to get myself to learn how to program too :)
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Go see the movie Pi.

Enjoy it, maybe have a laugh or really like the movie. Then move on to writing kick ass tracks and leave all this old business behind ;)
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Renze »

Pi is an awesome movie.

1. Mathematics is the language of nature. 2. Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers. 3. If you graph these numbers, patterns emerge. Therefore: There are patterns everywhere in nature.