room accoustics.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think you can adapt to anything if you've got talent.

some people have the ablity to make good sh!t under any circumstances, but i still believe the average beginner is going to fair better with monitors.
(even if its just to stop him being deaf by the age of 35)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yes exactly.

The people that have got the true talent can make music in some proper shitty places with some terrible equipment. Some other people have tons of good equipment, but make not so great music. As mate says who makes great music 'its all about working with what you got!'
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

sorry if i gave the impression that working with headphones and redline plugin ALL THE TIME is better.
but i think its very good reference to find problems when the room has to many trouble.
having a studio in a bedroom can be very difficult as you not always have the space to position your monitors and their distance from where you sit.

what you really need to is to refference your mixes with commercial music. if the commercial sounds good and yours not, than maybe its your mix and not the room and you just need to work that out.
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

::BLM:: wrote:I know that Chris (as he is on my label) only uses headphones. He never checks his mixes before sending them to be pressed onto vinyl. I would go as far as saying that on FOF he has the strongest sound (sound quality wise) He just uses his headphones plugged into his mac and off he goes. He doesn't even use a proper soundcard, just the one that comes in the apple mac.

Patrice has monitors, but chooses to mix on his headphones as he said he can hear everything better.
just curious what headphones do they use?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'm in the process of building a purpose built electronic music studio in a converted 300 year old barn right now, and it is all going to be done properly with acoustic treatment etc. maybe i could post up some info and pics of how its coming along, it might be some use to some of you.

i'm starting now and it should be finished by next september.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Yeah please keep us informed. I'm doing the same in my house at the moment. There is tons of good info over on gearslutz for anyone wanting to read up on this stuff.
JakeScott
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JakeScott »

I use DT250 headphones. very good.

Description of the Beyer DT 250 Headphones
The Beyer DT 250 is a lightweight, closed dynamic headphone, which was specially designed for studio applications. The DT250 features an efficient neodymium magnet system, a very high reproduction precision and a balanced sound. The wide transmission range between 10 - 30,000 Hz is another important feature.

The soft circumaural earcups of the Beyer DT250 headphones offer a high wearing comfort and excellent ambient noise insulation. The padded headband is fully adjustable and can be adapted to each head size. The connecting cables to the earcups run safely in the headband. The main connecting cable is single-sided, plug-in type with a golden combi 1/4"/mini jack plug. All parts are easy to replace.

Key Features of the Beyer DT 250 Headphones
■Closed headphone
■Compact, lightweight low-profile design
■Neodymium magnet systems for accurate sound reproduction
■Very good ambient noise attenuation
■Soft, circumaural ear pads, advanced ear cushion systems
■Modular construction for easy servicing
■Detachable single-sided cable
Specifications of the Beyer DT 250 Headphones
■Transducer type: Dynamic
■Operating principle: Closed
■Transmission range: 10 - 30,000 Hz
■Nominal impedance: 80 Ù
■Nominal sound pressure level
■at 1 kHz: 100 dB SPL at
■T.H.D: < 1%
■Nominal power rating: 100 mW = 118 dB
■Sound coupling to the ear: Circumaural
■Ambient noise insulation: approx. 16 dBA
■Average pressure on ears: 4.5 N
■Weight without cable: 240 g (DT 250)
■Cable length: 3 m
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Is it clear when you play tones down in the low octaves? It says they go down to 30hz!