Slim Phatty

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
steevio wrote:little phatty isnt one of Moog's best creations.
way too limited

save up and buy the real thing, the voyager is easily the best analogue synth around.
Hey, you seen the new Voyager XL? It's semi-modular apparently, so patchable and has a 61 note keyboard ( I think ) and a ribbon controller. There's a brief desrciption in SOS magazine.
yeah its nice, if you have the voyager + VX351 breakout box, youve pretty much got the same thing minus the ribbon + extra keys.

i have the Voyager RME + VX352 so it receives CVs from my modular, (the keyboard model has the VX352 built in.) i play it from my modular sequencing set-up, if i get the VX351, then i'm fully integrated.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

michaellpenman wrote:in the end of the day moog synths always give you results and thats what really matter.
unfortunately all Moogs are not created equal, theres been a few dissappointments over the years.
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

I think if you want an analog right now the DSI MoPho keyboard is far better value.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

TechnoMusic wrote:I think if you want an analog right now the DSI MoPho keyboard is far better value.
is the mopho (without the keyboard) the same as the keyboard or does the keyboard offer more?
adgolin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Win Slim Phatty

Post by adgolin »

Just found this on Facebook. It's a contest to win a Moog Slim Phatty!! Astralwerks, the premiere dance/electronic label in the land, teamed up with Moog Music in this sweepstakes.

All you have to do is 'like' the page from the link below, and then enter. I just did it - it's really easy and I promise it's for real.

Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/astralwerks#!/a ... 8134323652
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Win Slim Phatty

Post by patrick bateman »

adgolin wrote:Just found this on Facebook. It's a contest to win a Moog Slim Phatty!! Astralwerks, the premiere dance/electronic label in the land, teamed up with Moog Music in this sweepstakes.

All you have to do is 'like' the page from the link below, and then enter. I just did it - it's really easy and I promise it's for real.

Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/astralwerks#!/a ... 8134323652
^^^^^
US only..
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

I replaced my Waldorf Pulse with the Slim Phatty. I think the two are comparable. Here's my two cents on the pros and cons of these two machines, if anyone finds this useful.

The Pulse is probably not too hard to find for cheaper than the SP. There might not be all that many for sale, but when they crop up I've seen them for $500 or less, while the SP is $795 USD new. The Pulse has one more oscillator, a noise source and an additional LFO. You have at least 4 mod sources you can connect to a whole slew of destinations. It's pretty compact at two rack units and only as deep as it is tall. The bass blows away that of my Nordlead in terms of ball-shaking low frequencies. It has stereo outs which are cool if you route a mod source to panning. It has 6 knobs and while tweaking the filter, the cutoff and rez would have their own knobs. The Pulse has an interesting random patch feature (although I never heard it generate anything that I would have used).

The Slim Phatty has an external input. The Waldorf Pulse Plus also has one, but the normal Pulse (which I had) does not. The SP has a removable power cord and internal power supply, while the Pulse has a wall wart (believe it or not, this is a big plus to me!). The SP has a power button while the Pulse does not (annoying!). Both the SP and Pulse have 100 patch slots, but only 40 of the patches on the Pulse are over-writable, while all 100 patches on the SP are user-saveable and you can also rename the patches (on the Pulse they are just numbers). The SP has a number of CV connections in the back. The regular Pulse has none, but the Plus can be used as a MIDI to CV converter. The bass end on the Moog is a bit nicer than the Pulse, but not overwhemingly so. When playing patches higher up on the keyboard, the Moog sounds much better, much smoother. The Pulse wasn't as good for lead sounds. The Moog's filter can be changed between 1,2,3 and 4-pole (the Pulse is only 4-pole) and at high resonance I think the Moog sounds better. Some people also prefer VCOs (Moog) to DCOs (Pulse). I find editing patches on the Moog much easier, even though it has less knobs, as almost every parameter is only one button push away. On the Pulse you sometimes have to press a button multiple times to get to the parameter you want to edit.

All in all, I didn't find the overall sound of the two synths to be worlds apart. I prefer the patch editing and storing functions on the SP much more and also the physical features (internal PSU, power button, control interface, knobs etc). If you're looking for very solid bass and lead sounds, the Moog is very nice. The Pulse is better for strange effects and experimental patches, and perhaps arpeggiated lines (it has a lot of different patterns). Aldo the 3rd osc on the Pulse allows you to create a chord-stab type of patch, while on the Moog you can't really do the same. I was looking for a synth to use in a more standard, melodic musical context, so I don't mind that the Moog is more limited in the modulation department. However, I think the Pulse is a great deal if you can get one for around $400-500 and can live with the interface.
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JayRP »

thanks phurniture! i actually did find that very useful!

ive been wondering maybe for anyone out there who owns both, how you guys might feel about the slim phatty vs. the dsi mopho??

i might want to get one of the two, but i need more input.