sequentix cirklon

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

what i wouldnt want in a sequencer is menus.

may as well stay in the box.

you know i'm always going to say this, but for instant live tweaking you need knobs and switches. lots of them.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:what i wouldnt want in a sequencer is menus.

you know i'm always going to say this, but for instant live tweaking you need knobs and switches. lots of them.
Control surface/keyboard??

Only issue I have with computer based sequencing is that I can't work with no boundaries. I like limitations and having them 'forced' on me encourages me to be creative. Infinite possibilities exist within the computer based option and I find my mind wanders off the job so to speak. Hard to explain, but it's too much looking and not enough doing.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
steevio wrote:what i wouldnt want in a sequencer is menus.

Control surface/keyboard??

Only issue I have with computer based sequencing is that I can't work with no boundaries. I like limitations and having them 'forced' on me encourages me to be creative. Infinite possibilities exist within the computer based option and I find my mind wanders off the job so to speak. Hard to explain, but it's too much looking and not enough doing.
set up a controller purely as a sequencer and create your own limitations.

i agree limitations help us focus.

i used to use software sequencing before i went modular, and to be honest i liked doing things that way, till i built my own sequencer with modules and realised how obsctructive it was, but a box with menus and a few buttons is not different enough from ITB to be worth the effort imo

i really cant explain the ease and joy of working with a totally dedicated hardware sequencer with no menus, if you want to do something, you reach out and do it - now ! thats what a musical instrument is all about for me.
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

The cirklon will be deeeep I'm sure.
The P3 will probably go down as one of the most in-depth analogue style sequencers so i'm sure cirklon will kick ass.
I've got a doepfer maq 16/3 sequencer and the p3 is meant to even more complex. I believe, although I've never used one, it can do some fantastic things with chords and evolving sequences.
I'm still getting to grips with the doepfer though..
And for what's it worth they offer a totally different way of sequencing as supposed to ableton. They might seem primitive on the surface but they're not. And they offer rock-solid midi-clock.
Amazing things happen with analogue sequencers...sequences that you'd never play or piano-roll in a million years. You can probably go some-way to creating something similar with Max-MSP for live (I've never used) but no-way near as immediate.
Being able to assign tracks to different speeds, different lenghts, different functions, differnt or alternating directions rocks!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

you do realize the MPC500 is just a drum machine sampler. you will need at least an MPC1000 for sequencing a couple of synths.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

tone-def wrote:you do realize the MPC500 is just a drum machine sampler. you will need at least an MPC1000 for sequencing a couple of synths.
Thats not correct. It has midi out, a 48 track sequencer and 16midi channels. The sequencer can run external synths no prob.
trainspotter
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by trainspotter »

i own the p3 and cant wait for the cirklon if you want to know anything about it join the yahoo group or if you want to have a idea of what the p3 does read the p3 manual.. its one of the deepest sequencers i've ever used and the cirklon will be a huge upgrade based of the fact bigger cpu and alot of user feedback if you want a sequencer that you can communicate with the developer and see it getting implied Colin definitively is the man
And for anyone who is concerned in regards to menu jumping and most things of that nature it will be hidden under very few jumps and very easey to follow.

One of the features i love about the p3 is that is ment to never be stopped ( actually you can turn off stop so that if you do want to stop you have to do a button combination ) and everything is ment to be done on the spot and yes nothing beats immediate entry.

i use the p3 and a mpc1000 why, the p3 was never ment to be a drum-sequencer( you can get away using a specific firmware but its still not a 909 type sequencer entry ).. if you looking for simple note entry and not feature like +-/% modulation btw tracks then go for the mpc 1000.. the mpc1000 is great.. hell even maschine is great if you want to stay in the daw/vst land..

i got all 3 and love them equally for all the different reasons.. but i want the cirklon and probably will part with my p3 and mpc1000 due to cirklon covering all the needs i want.. the p3 is very comparable to the notron btw.
Cirklon will have a added CV/GATE section thats optional for controlling all things that way.

if you go the mpc line the 1000 has a much superior os to the 500 added with menues that actually show whats going on in a more easy to follow manner..

other things to check for x0x style editing might be but in my opinion limited but in a good way is the analogue solutions europa.

i believe richie purchased a p3 but not sure what he actually recorded with it.
hubiedubie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hubiedubie »

Don't forget about the Genoqs Nemo. Seems very deep as well but perhaps not as intuitive as the Cirklon