Roland

- ask away
NomadSpectrum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NomadSpectrum »

For my sins I had a 303 when it came out to use in a band I was in many many years ago and we found it a poor subsitute for a bass player so we sold it

I still have a big bruise where I constantly kick myself every morning for my foolishness :P

But yes the 303 at the time was not a sucess as it was not fit for purpose
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

tone-def wrote:the market for analogue drum machines is too small. electronic music is as big as it's been since the 80's but most people are happy working ITB.
I think this is the answer here. There are some really quality boxes on the market nowadays anyways.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I wonder if things will ever achieve that classic status again? Those 3 machines pretty much defined some genres and thats obviously down to the musicians who used them in ways that Roland wouldnt have considered when they were produced. Is it too far off the mark to say it was a fluke?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AK wrote:I wonder if things will ever achieve that classic status again? Those 3 machines pretty much defined some genres and thats obviously down to the musicians who used them in ways that Roland wouldnt have considered when they were produced. Is it too far off the mark to say it was a fluke?
i think it involved a fairly deviant tangent.

Roland were mainly in it for the $$$, even though I think the designers were totally onto something special.

I think for the most part, that by the time the machines were really getting popular Roland had already given up on them.

It's been said before, but i think it's a waste of time drooling over ages past. Modular is totally 100% the next wave of exciting machines to change the face of music. It takes a little research to explore (what worthy thing doesn't?), and will need a little cash (though if you are crafty you can stretch money far... I saw a small frac rack system (currently out of favour due to rise in eurorack) go for half it's already cheap price).

(hmm not wanting to go completely overboard there... i frequently hear amazing music made on computer.... but if your the kind of person craving a dedicated machine... then what i said is 100% true).
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote:
AK wrote:I wonder if things will ever achieve that classic status again? Those 3 machines pretty much defined some genres and thats obviously down to the musicians who used them in ways that Roland wouldnt have considered when they were produced. Is it too far off the mark to say it was a fluke?
i think it involved a fairly deviant tangent.

Roland were mainly in it for the $$$, even though I think the designers were totally onto something special.

I think for the most part, that by the time the machines were really getting popular Roland had already given up on them.

It's been said before, but i think it's a waste of time drooling over ages past. Modular is totally 100% the next wave of exciting machines to change the face of music. It takes a little research to explore (what worthy thing doesn't?), and will need a little cash (though if you are crafty you can stretch money far... I saw a small frac rack system (currently out of favour due to rise in eurorack) go for half it's already cheap price).

(hmm not wanting to go completely overboard there... i frequently hear amazing music made on computer.... but if your the kind of person craving a dedicated machine... then what i said is 100% true).
i'm not sure about modular being the next big thing. it's to much of an investment and it's not as portable as a laptop and software. it's not exactly new either.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

like i say i'm 100% convinced. even if it only grows slowly. i'm making music that i've not heard before. and i'm not saying that thru big headedness.

i saw a 3u rack with 6 modules + PSU go for £400 today.

you can get a small set up that is just as portable as laptop (12U in a folding case). (though probably would be a worry in typical club situation with drinks etc around)
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

you know this is like asking Nissan to remake the Datsun 240z from the 70's just because to some it's a classic. It just ain't gonna happen folks.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

oblioblioblio wrote:like i say i'm 100% convinced. even if it only grows slowly. i'm making music that i've not heard before. and i'm not saying that thru big headedness.

i saw a 3u rack with 6 modules + PSU go for £400 today.

you can get a small set up that is just as portable as laptop (12U in a folding case). (though probably would be a worry in typical club situation with drinks etc around)
Modular systems has been there since forever. so i dont think its gonna be the next big thing.
the musician community is very small, electronic musician is a small group inside that group and the amount of people that will actually spend some cash is very very small.
not in the these days when digital and warez rules the market.

its great that you find your modular inspiring. but it takes alot of cash and space (with most musician do it in their bedroom) when compared to software.

I think it was a fluke and i dont think anything made today will ever be a desired vintage synth. the charm of those units was that it was fast and simple to get something out of it. today people want more and more options and thats what those companies give us. problem is that people just dont know what to do with all those possibilities and end up only with frustration.