Why clubbing sucks in Denver Colorado

- open
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

mick finesse wrote:Denver isn't a bad city. It sucks Brad or Cathy won't let us book techno on the main floor besides the Roots parties and hear sh!t on their Funktion One, but they're hardly trying to squash all the other events in town.
First time I met Brad was when I was working the Mark Henning door. He rolled up with a whole guido entourage and he was like, "Do you know who I am??" I said "No am I supposed to?" He's like, "Duh I'm Beatport Brad." I was like, "15.00 bucks a pop. There's no list." I didn't budge until 5 minutes later, until my friends shrugged and let him in. His entourage payed.

Brad hasn't done much for Denver for me since I moved here besides hiring Clark Warner. He promotes himself with his moniker Manufactured Terrible Superstars, supports the local D-bag rave scene with the Triad Dragons and he books Trance instead of techno 11 times out of 12 months a year because he might lose bar sales. And for the record Regis has brought a lot of people out including Adam Beyer, Joel Mull, Magda, Christian Smith, John Selway, Richie 2x, and a lot more.
Last edited by Hutch on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mick finesse
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mick finesse »

So because you met Brad working the door at Mark Henning means he's telling artists they can't be released on Beatport if they play at Vinyl?

Brad's been promoting in Denver for a very, very long time. Regas hired Brad to do bookings for his clubs because of the booking connections Brad had. Brad booked Hawtin and all those other artists for Regas in years past before he moved on to open Beta.

Yeah, he probably feels a sense of entitlement for 15 years plus of doing work in Denver as well as helping to create the biggest online retailer for independent dance labels, doesn't mean he's using Beatport to blackball other promoters from booking artists.

Like I said before, I've gone to Regas about booking techno and he turned me down flat. We ended up bringing Perc to the Would Shop and it was a great success. Guess what? Perc Trax is still on Beatport, so are Perc releases. Everyone from Beta came right over to the Perc party even though we started at 10PM and were in direct competition with them.

And on top of that, he has brought Richie to Beta and put techno on the main floor and no one showed up to support. He lost money and like any businessman stopped booking techno. If you want techno on the main floor support it bigtime when it's there like the Roots parties and PUNCHIS on Friday's and show them people will turn out for techno. Don't bust the mans balls for not wanting to lose money. sh!t, if Brad is bringing all the trance in why isn't Regas booking the techno and minimal we want? Because Denver heads don't turn out to club venues for techno that's why. We want parties to go past 2AM and our headliners to start around then. It's a good thing Brad's not booking techno despite the beautiful Funktion 1's, because out techno scene thrives outside of the confines of the cities dumbass curfew laws.
Techno producer and DJ concerned by the social obligation to pigeonhole by design and inspired by the desire to hold pigeons.

www.freqboutique.com
Emote Music
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Emote Music »

I don't understand why a Denver dispute has to be public fodder. This is all over the news in Denver too, and while nobody knows the exact situation everyone is speculating - including myself.

Regardless of what will be decided in court, the court of public opinion will make up their collective minds and Denver looks shittier as a result.

Nice work to everyone involved.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

mick finesse wrote:So because you met Brad working the door at Mark Henning means he's telling artists they can't be released on Beatport if they play at Vinyl?
Didn't say that. I said I don't care who Brad is and I don't dck ride him or anyone in the scene. And yes Steve we all know you brought Perc out. Thanks!! Did you read the whole injuction? Rico act is serious and I don't think this would be happening if there wasn't an actual case. It goes beyond DJ Rap dude. That was just an example.
mick finesse wrote:If you want techno on the main floor support it bigtime when it's there like the Roots parties and PUNCHIS on Friday's and show them people will turn out for techno.
No thanks. Over Dirtybird parties and hearing locals smash hard techno at 10:30pm in a crappy sounding uncomfortable lounge. Show up or not nothings going to change and I agree with what John said :) This is just public display of dirty denver laundry. It's going to get ugly I'm thinking.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Hutch wrote:And yes Steve we all know you brought Perc out. Thanks!!
:lol:

He has name dropped him a few times now, cringe.
Emote Music
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Emote Music »

patrick bateman wrote:When did Perc play Denver?
Oct. 16, 2010

RA Review here: http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=8226