Syncing the arp on an SH101 using a Kenton USB Solo

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

will a gate not work instead of a clock?

have you tried sending a short gate to the ext. in ?

just set up a midi channel as a clock source, its better than a clock because you can put swing on your pulses.

i trigger my SH101 with all sorts of different things.

i'll check what voltage triggers the ARP for you and get back.
Last edited by steevio on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

steevio wrote:will a gate not work instead of a clock?

have you tried sending a short gate to the ext. in ?

just set up a midi channel as a clock source.

i trigger my SH101 with all sorts of different things.

i'll check what voltage triggers the ARP for you and get back.
had a feeling you'd know.... :lol:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

just tried it with various gates and triggers, some as low as 3Volts and it works with everything.

do you know how to work the sequencer on the SH101 ?
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

steevio wrote:just tried it with various gates and triggers, some as low as 3Volts and it works with everything.

do you know how to work the sequencer on the SH101 ?
erm yeah I think so?
I think my main issue is knowing what to do with the kenton to be honest in order to get it to trigger and gate the 101
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

sorry i just realised widdly already told you about the gate.

you said the midi notes work fine, which means you are already sending a gate to the SH101, just plug the lead thats going into your gate socket into the EXT CLK instead. ( with an adapter of course)

if you havent programmed something into the sequencer / arp, you wont know if its working or not

btw you can't sync the LFO to the ext. clk only the sequencer and arppegiator
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

steevio wrote:sorry i just realised widdly already told you about the gate.

you said the midi notes work fine, which means you are already sending a gate to the SH101, just plug the lead thats going into your gate socket into the EXT CLK instead. ( with an adapter of course)

if you havent programmed something into the sequencer / arp, you wont know if its working or not

btw you can't sync the LFO to the ext. clk only the sequencer and arppegiator
Cool, I had tried that, but didn't seem to work. I'll try it tonight and see where I get.
Thanks for the help man.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

try this;

get your sh101 playing along to midi from the CV / gate ins.

go to your soft sequencer make a midi part that is just very short notes (doesnt matter what notes) every 16th, send that to the SH101 instead of what you were sending it, but on the same channel.

unplug the CV lead, and leave it out.
unplug the Gate lead and add a 1/4" jack converter and plug it into the EXT CLK input.

press Load on the 101 sequencer and play in a couple of notes.

press Play on the 101 sequencer, it should play the sequence in time with the midi.
if you unplug the gate lead it will revert to the LFO speed.

this should work, it does on mine. if it doesnt, either the trigger/gate is too weak, or the 101 is broken.

i cant help you on the kenton USB Clock, my kenton is an old Pro 2 and different, but there should be a CLK output, this test is just to make sure everything is working but its also a good way to trigger the 101 as you can put groove/ swing into the clock pulse by using a groove template or swing on the midi notes youre sending, whereas Clock will just give you a metronomic pulse.
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

steevio wrote:try this;

get your sh101 playing along to midi from the CV / gate ins.

go to your soft sequencer make a midi part that is just very short notes (doesnt matter what notes) every 16th, send that to the SH101 instead of what you were sending it, but on the same channel.

unplug the CV lead, and leave it out.
unplug the Gate lead and add a 1/4" jack converter and plug it into the EXT CLK input.

press Load on the 101 sequencer and play in a couple of notes.

press Play on the 101 sequencer, it should play the sequence in time with the midi.
if you unplug the gate lead it will revert to the LFO speed.

this should work, it does on mine. if it doesnt, either the trigger/gate is too weak, or the 101 is broken.

i cant help you on the kenton USB Clock, my kenton is an old Pro 2 and different, but there should be a CLK output, this test is just to make sure everything is working but its also a good way to trigger the 101 as you can put groove/ swing into the clock pulse by using a groove template or swing on the midi notes youre sending, whereas Clock will just give you a metronomic pulse.
Itching to try this out.
Should all work fine, as it's just been refurbed.
However I had no end of trouble initially getting the midi to work with it, was ready to throw it out of the window. Went downstairs to make a cup of tea, came back upstairs and it was working perfectly :lol: