help and advice on a true analog synth

- ask away
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Phase Ghost wrote:
Phurniture wrote:If you stretch your budget slighty you might also consider the new Moog Slim Phatty. In about a week's time I should be able to tell you if it's worth it.
Dude I wanted a slim phatty real bad at one point. But, I just couldn't get past the fact that the cutoff and resonance shared the same knob. That's filtering 101 right there.
Yeah, that alone kills it for me too. You can assign one to the mod wheel I am sure, but then with the slim you would need a controller attached etc.

I am too OCD not to have the knobs all there for the taking. :)
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: help and advice on a true analog synth

Post by tone-def »

underground utd wrote:MFB microzwerg or kraftzwerg
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

underground utd wrote:To answer Stomper, it's all about the bass ! It's a bit like if you ask a Dj if he prefers vinyl or cd, they both do the same thing but don't sound exactly the same.
Than i wouldnt consider digital controlled. they have the advantage of presets. but from my experience they lack in thickness when compared to a voltage controlled.

SH-101 that was mentioned is great. if you can find SH-2, its same but has 2 osc (not sure what its priced these days if you can even find one). dark energy and mono lancet are also worth checking out.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

Phase Ghost wrote:
Phurniture wrote:If you stretch your budget slighty you might also consider the new Moog Slim Phatty. In about a week's time I should be able to tell you if it's worth it.
Dude I wanted a slim phatty real bad at one point. But, I just couldn't get past the fact that the cutoff and resonance shared the same knob. That's filtering 101 right there.
Just read this in the manual, regarding a function called "Pot Mapping". Kind of solves this problem:

Pot Mapping allows you to ‘reprogram’ the four panel knobs to control any of the SP functions. For example, you could program Pot Mapping to give you control of Filter Cutoff, Resonance, Overload and EG Amount, all at the same time.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phurniture wrote:
Phase Ghost wrote:
Just read this in the manual, regarding a function called "Pot Mapping". Kind of solves this problem:

Pot Mapping allows you to ‘reprogram’ the four panel knobs to control any of the SP functions. For example, you could program Pot Mapping to give you control of Filter Cutoff, Resonance, Overload and EG Amount, all at the same time.
still its only got 4 knobs , kind of defeats the object of an analogue synth.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

steevio wrote:
Phurniture wrote:
Phase Ghost wrote:

still its only got 4 knobs , kind of defeats the object of an analogue synth.
:lol:

I never understood why people liked the Little Phatty either.

since you're still fairly new to the synthesis part, I'd get a synth with a very clear lay-out and preferably as much knobs or sliders as possible.

I wouldn't get an SH-101 simply cause it doesn't have patch memory.
As good as it may be to restart from new all the time, if you don't know 100% exactly what does what in your synth, you'll end up not finding back how you made sound A or B, and it'll be just a frustrating experience.

If I were you, I'd look into a Juno 60 or 106.
The 60 has a bit more balls and has an arpeggiator, but lacks MIDI.
the big advantage of the Juno 60 is that the lay-out is crystal-clear,
and you got a slider for every parameter.
It's an ideal beginner's synth that has enough power to last for years.
Even though I've had many bigger synths after I got my Juno, I've still not sold mine.
The Juno's just too much fun.
Instant, versatile, and with a very warm sound and you'll always come up with a sound you can use somewhere.
It's like a pair of vintage jeans that has become one of your favourite pairs to wear, simply cause it fits so great and you can wear it on almost any occasion and you'll still look good.
sorry for comparing a great classic with something superficial like a pair of jeans, but if you're into jeans, you might understand what I'm trying to get at... 8)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i would say the patch memory on the juno 60/106 will make things harder to understand than an sh101 without patch memory. when you change patch with the juno the sound changes but the sliders stay in the same position. this means you can't see the settings of your saved sounds. with the 101 what you see is what you hear.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:i would say the patch memory on the juno 60/106 will make things harder to understand than an sh101 without patch memory. when you change patch with the juno the sound changes but the sliders stay in the same position. this means you can't see the settings of your saved sounds. with the 101 what you see is what you hear.
agreed

the sh101 is easy to understand, theres little point in having a patch memory with it, i can get a sound back to roughly what it was in seconds.

i had a Juno 106 and 2 x SH101s, i sold the 106 and kept the 101s,

better sounding synth.