hardware samplers

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I'm also on the hunt for a hardware sampler, but I want one that I can easily transfer samples to that I've already cut up.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Phase Ghost wrote:I'm also on the hunt for a hardware sampler, but I want one that I can easily transfer samples to that I've already cut up.
Octatrack
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
aticatac
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by aticatac »

Phase Ghost wrote:
I'm also on the hunt for a hardware sampler, but I want one that I can easily transfer samples to that I've already cut up.
Hello, I own 3 hardware samplers (Roland S760, Emu E6400 ultra, Akai MPC 2500) and I dearly love them! Concerning cutting up samples in a hardware sampler: it is certainly faster to chop loops and samples in a DAW, but I think that cutting up a loop in the E-mu is also very straightforward and a fast process. The EOS is a cleverly thought out system. Ditto for the MPC, cut the sample and assign it to a pad, couldn't be faster. Then there's the chop shop feature too, which sometimes yields unpredictable, interesting results. I play something on a synth and I sample that and then the MPC cuts up it into some uneven parts and assigns them to pads. It's always fun.

I would not buy a h/w sampler ONLY for its sound - the way you work with them introduces you new working methods, new ideas.
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

Back in the day I used to have a yamaha a5000 I quite liked the general sound quality and FX but the filters didn't sound very good to me.

I personally think that you can do a sh!t load more with NI Kontakt than with any hardware sampler ever made. Its also easier to use, quicker to load sample banks and comes with an incredible orchestral library & some decent pianos.
Last edited by TechnoMusic on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

EDIT: Double post.
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

coldfuture wrote:Octatrack
Can anyone point me at a decent demo of that thing? Ever single one Ive been able to dig out has been really bad, either aimless unmusical noodling or 5 minutes of sales spiel with 20 second bit of audio demo at the end.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

TechnoMusic wrote:Back in the day I used to have a yamaha a5000 I quite liked the general sound quality and FX but the filters didn't sound very good to me.

I personally think that you can do a sh!t load more with NI Kontakt than with any hardware sampler ever made. Its also easier to use, quicker to load sample banks and comes with an incredible orchestral library & some decent pianos.
I'd imagine it's a lot more sophisticated that's for sure. Thing is, I'm not using software to make music. The PC is for HD recording and sample editing and storage.

The thing with the Emu is it's practically a digital modular synth and it also has a fully fledged sequencer so for use in a totally hardware studio, it has a lot of advantages. Software is simply a non option.

Nobody on the face of the earth would ever get to the point where they have exhausted all the possibilities in a unit such as the Ultra. It's beyond comprehension, so whether another thing can do 'more' is really a moot point, I'd never out-do the Ultra that's for sure, just as I'd never out-do Kontakt.

Shame the Emulator III doesn't have the same functionality as the Ultra, it's got analog filters, you'd obviously never get that in software. I'm not 100% on what these Z Plane filters are - I know they are digital but I need to get more info on them.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

[quote="coldfuture"

Octatrack[/quote]

lol.

I've got the sequencing down. Just looking for something to trigger some loops and longer samples from. Also, it needs to be portable. That's the main reason I'm on the hunt. I've got sampling in the studio down.