Hi hats like these

- ask away
Jovan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jovan »

I own this vinyl, i love both of tracks on it, second has very nasty hi-hat too, i simply love the track you posted because of the hat that comes in in right time its dirty hi hat, sampled from oldschool hip-hop track i guess... If you listen closely its short, long, short, long, long, short its not always the same, but really minor changes in it...

EDIT : Me playing this track at K4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAoxIHcqv5k
http://www.myspace.com/jovankoo Listen to it my music is RAW-er than yor Pron
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

this is what I call a high hat. god damn you ricardo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOX4d92F ... 379F6FA81E

There are lots of ways to make high hats. I find it more fun using synths for them. white noise, filters... a nice trick is using an FM synth like Ableton Operator and seeing what you can get, you need to be quite extreme with settings, and you might need to use the filter at the end.

Bit crushing can work pretty well if using samples.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

sample nice crunchy hihats or a good vinyl crackle could do the trick too
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Thank you for this... <3

i think bitcrushing works well on any drums with high end content(snare/hats) in particular. This and a filter/eq Somehow can dramatically change the way it punches and blends with the mix.

my favorite crusher for this...
http://www.toneboosters.com/free/
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

oblioblioblio wrote:this is what I call a high hat. god damn you ricardo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOX4d92F ... 379F6FA81E

There are lots of ways to make high hats. I find it more fun using synths for them. white noise, filters... a nice trick is using an FM synth like Ableton Operator and seeing what you can get, you need to be quite extreme with settings, and you might need to use the filter at the end.

Bit crushing can work pretty well if using samples.
I agree, I've recently become more oriented with making my own drum sounds using synths. #1, it is sooo much fun when you find a sound you create that can be more useful than the standard palette. #2 - that's a great track btw.
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loictambay »

been using white noise for hats for a while but what I struggle with is getting a more realistic metallic timbre, or making it sound more like a shaker. I've been dissecting the sound into 2 parts, the first initial attack phase (the tsss) follow by the decay (a thiner tshhhhhhh). Can't seem to get it to sound as realistic as I want it to sound though. Been experimenting with filter envelopes but it just doesn't sound natural, just sounds like filtered white noise and not the natural reverberation of a cymbal. also tried layering 2 white noise hats, one with a more open attack and tail, and one for the initial transient but still not getting it to sound the way I want, any advice?

and as far as getting a more metallic sound, the closest I've come is to use a the looped noise instead of white noise, set at a higher pitch. gives it a bit of metallic sound but more digital than I want it to sound. I've tried vocoders, resonators, flangers, but not getting the result I want, any ideas?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

loictambay wrote:Can't seem to get it to sound as realistic as I want it to sound though. Been experimenting with filter envelopes but it just doesn't sound natural, just sounds like filtered white noise and not the natural reverberation of a cymbal. also tried layering 2 white noise hats, one with a more open attack and tail, and one for the initial transient but still not getting it to sound the way I want, any advice?
I swear the best way to get a natural sound is to use a sample or record your own. There are so many ways you can change the sound of a shaker or hat by mic positioning and performance. my experience have showed me that its only way to go.

My personal favorite is to combine both techniques of hand played, samples, and synthesized. and Layer them.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

if on computer trying synthesis, it's worth studying the 808 hat / cymbal... you can find the info in a few places... one might be the Waldorf Attack manual.

Anyways they used something like 8 square wave oscillator with fixed tuning instead of white noise as the starting point for both the hi hats and the cymbal.. that's their approach to the metalicness.

Don't sweat it if you can't get it right... it's one of the most complicated sounds around I think... real complex mixture of harmonics. Its' good practice to try to get it right, and even if you don't get there exactly you always learn good stuff from trying.