about cdj 800 , how much it sucks and some noob questions!

- open
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

ChrisCV wrote: don't be put off by coutier... there's nothing wrong with burning mp3 as an audio cd... its completely fine... nothing should fck up...

except that part about decompressing a compressed file and hearing some noise.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

cloutier wrote:
ChrisCV wrote: don't be put off by coutier... there's nothing wrong with burning mp3 as an audio cd... its completely fine... nothing should fck up...

well i don't think they were his exact words...

but it seems clear the cause for the excessive levels (not noise) is because he's got both his turntables and CDJs plugged into the line inputs.. as mentioned before... basically he just needs to plug the turntable into the phono and all will be sorted... you even kind of point this out yourself...

i wouldn't worry too much about the burning of an MP3 as an audio cd track (or wav as you called it)... the universe will not implode if you do it... you have my assurance...

computers have been doing it for years... its not going to fck anything up.... you don't lose any quality... you're just putting something small in to a bigger container... and filling up the spaces with some padding...
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by junger »

thanks for the advice chris... i plugged the tts into the phone and the cdj into line... it sounds better now... what stays is that the cdj output is still much louder than the tt...., can it be that thats just given?

what cloutier said kind of confused me, because that would mean evey dj on the planet who uses cdjs, could only use wav files for burning and playing out audio cds, at least if he wanted to do things correctly.. i mean, its logic, that wav on a certain soundsystem sounds different or better (or not, who knows) than 320. but isnt it common (which ofcours must not mean right) to do just burn audio cds with 320 files?
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by junger »

oh and the rubbing the willy comparisons are priceless, right on point.... especially the gigolo and prostitute part.. pretty much it.

i overreacted probably... and it has a reason why i got that thing in the firstplace and not the serato..
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

the cdj800 is imo the best cdplayer for homeuse.. plays just like its bigger brother but doesn't have all those useless features..

actually if you get used to it you'll see that it's one of the easiest things on earth to mix in a track with that player.. which can be comfortable.. exactly how you want it to be when you are mixing your digital tracks :D
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

cloutier wrote:

this is a BIG nono. on a decent club PA it is completely noticable. 320kbps is 1/3 cd quality. never ever ever reencode compressed files to a different format.

seriously, this isn't an audiophile thing it's what i consider good taste. i would go so far as to say that if you plan on dj'ing CD's you should be buying cd's/wave files/flac and burning the songs you need to new CD's if you don't want the original CD's to get scuffed while you gig.
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

pafufta816 wrote:
cloutier wrote:

this is a BIG nono. on a decent club PA it is completely noticable. 320kbps is 1/3 cd quality. never ever ever reencode compressed files to a different format.

seriously, this isn't an audiophile thing it's what i consider good taste. i would go so far as to say that if you plan on dj'ing CD's you should be buying cd's/wave files/flac and burning the songs you need to new CD's if you don't want the original CD's to get scuffed while you gig.

and here we are back at this one again. Check the blind listening test thread ;)
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

lejockey wrote:
pafufta816 wrote:
cloutier wrote:

and here we are back at this one again. Check the blind listening test thread ;)
your average listener won't be able to tell, this is speaking from my experiences with mp3's and speaker set ups in restaraunts, various stereos. re-encoding mp3's just isn't desirable, despite the average listeners inability to discern, you experience massive generational degradation. imagine this; you record mp3's to an audio CD, you give it to someone else, they rip it to mp3.

what do you think happens to the quality in such an occurence? it sounds like sh!t, i've turned off podcasts/dj sets before because ic ould tell the dj was pitch shifting too much or using 128kbps mp3's. i'm annoyed when a juke-box in a pub is filled with CD's that were recorded from mp3's. it's just not legit in my opinion and shows a lack of professionalism. you can just continue using sub par mp3's to dj and sound like crap to anyone who takes audio mildly serious, i won't listen tho sorry boys!