Getting started in minimal, OK to use Ableton Instruments?

- ask away
nohero
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nohero »

Great points, thanks again.

Stomper, great point about character had never thought of that.

Brilliant advice Hades, I had been thinking crrently I should be using both osc to make a sound because thats what they are there for! I'll take a step back.

I would love to see some presets I'll PM you.

Cheers
swarlied
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by swarlied »

STML wrote:Best advice I can give is to stick with Ableton suite and learn the built in stuff inside and out. It's perfectly capable of doing all the sounds in a given track. Once you know what all the instruments do and how to best use them, you have a good grounding to inform yourself in terms of other purchases, and will only need to spend on things that increase your palette, not simply marketing hyperbole.
top posting here
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

if your goal is to make something "minimal" then keep it simple, find software you that you like, become proficient at using it. limitation is creativities best friend, it forces focus and discipline which are creativities other best friends.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

There are tons of freeware out there that is really good. If you dont want to spend money, then start researching freeware.
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

Hades wrote: You'll get a LONG way with just Simpler and Analog if you spend enough time with it.
I've had (and still have) many great hardware synths here, but I still love and use Analog a lot.

funny you say that I've found myself often using just these (well Drum Racks as well) and wondering what a 'waste' it is to have all the other instruments in Suite 8.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

dubgil2 wrote:
Hades wrote: You'll get a LONG way with just Simpler and Analog if you spend enough time with it.
I've had (and still have) many great hardware synths here, but I still love and use Analog a lot.

funny you say that I've found myself often using just these (well Drum Racks as well) and wondering what a 'waste' it is to have all the other instruments in Suite 8.
well, operator is definitely not a waste.
especially since they upgraded it and you can draw in your own harmonics, you can do tons with it !
but operator is FM and/or additive, and you're never gonna use that a lot when you're starting out.
even when you've been into it for years, it's still not a synthesis method that you'll use as much as subtractive.

but those other instruments, yeah sure, I think those are very much a waste of space.
but getting the normal version of Live and getting operator and analog separately afterwards would probably cost you more than getting Live Suite, so it's a no brainer.
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

Don't forget that operator can do subtractive type stuff as well.
nohero
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nohero »

Brilliant thanks, gonna dabble with simpler a bit more too