Roland SH 101 repair question??

- ask away
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

£800+ for an SH-101? I havent been following ebay closely, i usually miss the end of auctions so never get to see the final price, but i thought it was around 380-500 mark for the 101? if they've gone up that much then thats me well and truly pissed off as ive got a bit money coming in now and was planning on grabbing one in 2 weeks or so, if they're finishing on that price theres no fucking chance of me getting one now :(

ive just checked sos and some guys wanting £999 for his 101 with mod grip! wtf
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

gowans wrote:£800+ for an SH-101? I havent been following ebay closely, i usually miss the end of auctions so never get to see the final price, but i thought it was around 380-500 mark for the 101? if they've gone up that much then thats me well and truly pissed off as ive got a bit money coming in now and was planning on grabbing one in 2 weeks or so, if they're finishing on that price theres no fcking chance of me getting one now :(

ive just checked sos and some guys wanting £999 for his 101 with mod grip! wtf
i was warning this was going to happen 6 months ago.

back then i still thought £500 was just about reasonable for such a great sounding synth, i know theres people on here who dont rate them, but i love them, and so do alot of people it seems.

looks like its getting too late.

:(
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

yeah it looks like ive left it too late, its just annoying because a few months back i couldnt afford anything, ive been temping a lot of jobs n that, but seem to have some work in for next few months and was planning on grabbing one. im checking ebay now and it seems about right, some are at 400quid or so with 7 days left on the auction, this is completely nuts, that price jump in the space of a few months has got me baffled!
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JayRP »

hey gowans, yeah man theyve gone up rly bad in the last few months like steevio said BUT if you scour ebay enough sometimes you can get really lucky. ive seen a few 101s go for around 450-550. i missed out on two of them around this price, i forget why, maybe i didnt have the money at the time and was just searching, i dunno. but in any case you just kinda got to keep working at it. if you really want one that badly id suggest holding on to the money and just being really on top of it looking for it and keeping in mind only 1 out of every 10 that sell on ebay go for that low.

dunno if you know about this site,

http://www.synthfind.com/

pretty much a blog that reposts listings on ebay for all kinds of synths. i think whoever compiles it does it by brand every day. so one day itll be moogs the next sequntials and one day rolands. check it out if u like, might be helpful, or might help you decide on something else if you decide on passing on the 101.

so back to my problem. i dont rly know where else i could find the electrical parts, steevio that site, like you said doesnt seem to have what i need (assuming at this point i even understand what i need) i dunno what to do or how to go on with this really =/
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

cheers mate i'll check that site out. obviously i dont know much, but it might be worth you grabbing the 101 if the deals as good as u say, ive seen a few broken ones appear on ebay that still get a load of interest, so if its a problem u cant fix you might be able to get ya money back on it anyway!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

potentiometers can be found here:

http://www.technologytransplant.com/ind ... th=30_29_4

Jay, you're either gonna need to find a qualified technician or a friend who is prepared for what could be a tough job, or you're gonna need to do some hard work and learning yourself. You will need to do some investigation to narrow the fault down, and you will need to use a multimeter. There are people on forums on the internet who are always happy to help, but if you want to go down that route you will need to learn everything that you can yourself and ask once you get stuck.

It's possible that the Amplifier is the part that is broken, if the envelope isn't working. That's the part I mentioned that is the same one from 303 (BA662a).

It's a one of a kind machine. (that filter! rar) So I think it could be worth the trouble.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

just to add. you're gonna have one main problem with the broken envelope. You should google this hard, and you might well find someone who had the exact problem, who listed how to fix it. Or you might find a forum with good advice or something related to it.

It's likely that you will need to do some other minor repairs as well. THe Sliders/potentiometers might be noisey /jumpy / hard to play.

And you should be aware that other stuff might fail in the future, and be quite hard to find. If it was me, I would probably buy a spare oscillator chip (CEM3340), filter (IR3109) and VCA (BA662A), as these chips were used in almost every popular ROland synths, and they are all long out of production. Their prices are not going to go down. You can probably find them on ebay (not cheaply), make sure to buy from a seller with lots of good feedback.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Jesus, what the hells going on? I was on about the pricing of 101's just a few months ago and now they are hitting near a grand! Wtf?

Gone are the days when you could get one for 180 quid. That's how much I paid for a grey one with mod grip (about 10yrs ago mind). But that was still at a time when everything analog was spiralling upward and 303's were fetching silly money.

Certainly, at that sort of money I'd question the motive to warrant such a purchase. I mostly used mine for bass - which is where I think it excels but there's no way its worth that sort of coin. Anyway, as illustrated, how long a life expectancy would you give one in full working nick? And if it goes tits-up, your'e kinda screwed by the look of things. Shame though, it's a loveable synth, the ebay muppets have put it out of reach for the majority of cash strapped musicians. Yeah, way to go fuckheads!

Theres still plenty of other overlooked gear at around the 500 quid mark though, still capable of generating quality bass. You can get a waldorf pulse plus for way, way less than that. Ok its not hands on but its tiny, wont take up space and is wicked for a lot of things. I dont see it gets much of a mention around here, which is a good thing in my book as the price might start going up lol.

Sequential circuits pro-one?
Moog prodigy?
Moog rogue?

Dunno but there are other options, I still rate the pulse though, its just the dogs. The plus version has a built in midi/cv converter so if you did get a cheaper 101 in the future, you can give it a clock.

Anyway, my post doesnt help in the sense of fixing anything but I was wondering if someone with a modular could potentially recreate the sound of the 101? I've seen passable 303's, minimoog type stuff but I wouldnt really know.

A software 101 by Arturia or whoever wouldnt really cut it for me that's for sure.