Ableton live 8 on Macbook pro

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Ok thanks.
I downloaded the Live8 trial last night and was having a play around.

When I do an overdub, can I set it to overwrite notes? At the moment it just seems to layer over the top.

What I am trying to achieve is;
Midi slice an audio clip.
Play the Clip.
Via midi, rearrange the clip. So unless i play a note over another, the current sequence is untouched.
Then to revert back to the original clip.

Sorry for the 20 questions. But I know you guys will know what I am talking about. Everyone I know doesnt use ableton 'live'
cheers
Lem
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

patrick bateman wrote:no issues at all.

macbookpro from march 2008, 4gb ram
ableton suite 8
mine is from february 2008, also 4GB RAM.
runs perfectly fine,
has Snow installed since last summer when I swapped my HD for a bigger one, didn't see any difference at all.
I do have a 7200 rpm HD though, I had one installed when I bought mine.
with all this direct from disk action getting the fastest HD possible is a good idea in my opinion.

the very few times Live crashed on me, it was always with external VST's being the problem.
But this hardly happened more than twice a year, at the most.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

lem wrote:When I do an overdub, can I set it to overwrite notes? At the moment it just seems to layer over the top.

What I am trying to achieve is;
Midi slice an audio clip.
Play the Clip.
Via midi, rearrange the clip. So unless i play a note over another, the current sequence is untouched.
Then to revert back to the original clip.
as far as I remember (at work now, can't check straight away), it should just overwrite notes.
If notes end up on top of each other, it's cause the new note is shorter than the first.
If it's longer, it will erase the first note completely.

take an audio clip, set some warp-markers to your likings, right click in it (ctrl-click), select "slice to midi track", make sure your settings are correct and you get what you asked for.
then you have a stairway of midi notes, each step will play one part (sample) of your midi clip. if you have set the markers correctly, the slices will be fine, if not, you need to reset the markers and reslice it, or change the settings of the slicing (ie slice size,...)
to remix the clip, just move steps up or down, or just add or remove slices.
It's all a piece of cake really.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

ah yes, the reverting back to the original...

just copy the clip and paste it in the slot underneath
change the copy to your likings.
play the original if you wanna revert back.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

thanks for the reply man,

The problem I was having was the overwriting of patterns. But I have sorted it now.
It't typical thing with new software. Ahh lovley learning curves!
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

btw, nice tracks !
you know how to get a nice groove going and your sounds are very well balanced.

what did you use to make these, software only or using hardware too ?
are these already made in Ableton or was that before you made the switch ?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Thanks for the interest Hades!
I made them in Logic Pro 9. Most of it is using the built in plugin Fx and synths. I think its one of the best things about Logic, the really good plugins.
I am not too sure on the ableton plugins, but I will stick with them and will get a good sound out of them eventually.

I think too much emphasis is put on using a certain synth for this and a certain reverb for that. But it really doesn't matter. Ultimately they can all do the same thing, its just some plugins make it easier than others.

I have got turned onto Ableton because I can make really good loops but always struggle with the composition. Its something about timelines and grids I think. I got a good deal on Live8 and a controller, so thought I would try a live set.

Most people seem to use it for triggering clips with tracks on, and tweeking fx. Is that right? It doesn't seem very 'live' to me...

Im probably wrong, but I don't know many people that use live 'live'. Mostly people that use it like you would logic, in arrange view.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I would say that, from what I have seen, 95% use session view for live shows.