What DAW Do you recomend?

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Why in the world are you getting anything power pc? Get a mac mini or imac if you can't swing a Mac Pro. Any Power PC software that still exists is likely to be gone shortly.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

MarcAshken wrote:I use both ableton and cubase 5, ableton is the most fun an easy to use but cubase and logic sound loads better, i think thats what it comes down to.
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

+100

i just wish you could rewire ableton with a 64bit cubase. reaper x64 you can still rewire ableton but seems cubase restricts that to the 32bit version.

Speaking of reaper, i did find the workflow odd in the beginning but once i figured out that routing matrix, it really made sense how incredible of a program it is. if i did not own/buy cubase i would use reaper hands down
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

NoAffiliation wrote:
MarcAshken wrote:I use both ableton and cubase 5, ableton is the most fun an easy to use but cubase and logic sound loads better, i think thats what it comes down to.
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

+100

i just wish you could rewire ableton with a 64bit cubase. reaper x64 you can still rewire ableton but seems cubase restricts that to the 32bit version.

Speaking of reaper, i did find the workflow odd in the beginning but once i figured out that routing matrix, it really made sense how incredible of a program it is. if i did not own/buy cubase i would use reaper hands down
I think its about time ableton got its sh!t together and released a 64 bit version of live.... very annoying to be honest
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

what's the problem with 32bit? I can only see one argument and that is very very large sample libraries.
konzee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by konzee »

tone-def wrote:are you sure Logic 9 will work? most new versions of DAW's don't work on PPC macs. i tried putting Propellerhead Record on my old mac but it didn't work. also i couldn't upgrade Pro Tools past 8.0.1.

i know cubase only support the latest version of OSX.

so your only options are;

studio one - new fresh coding, fast workflow and not full of sh!t like everything else.
digital performer - don't know much about it but autechre use it.
live - popular but i personally don't like it.
reaper - cheap with lots of features but a real bitch to use. worst workflow i've come across.

it's also worth pointing out i've had 2 G5's die on me in the last 2 years. i think it's a really bad idea getting a G5 in 2011.

Yeah, I had a talk with one of my friends from Apple, he said its worth it to save for a mac pro tower.. I think I'm going to do that..... dont want something dying on me.

Thank you for all the replies all! Your all great, Studio One intrigues me.., anyone know any productions made with it?
KryoShift
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by KryoShift »

Good move on the Intel Mac, especially if you're interested in Studio One. It is not very optimized for PPC at all (and it really shouldn't be, it came out well after Apple switched to Intel) and sucks up a lot more CPU power than Live does on PPC.
Phase Ghost wrote:Any Power PC software that still exists is likely to be gone shortly.
This is what prompted me to finally replace my Power Mac G5 machine. The few plugins that I still use keep dropping PPC support. :(

FWIW, Ableton Live 8 uses about 35% of total CPU (Power Mac G5 dual 2.0GHz) for the same track that my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook uses only 25%. Studio One uses 35% more at LEAST on the Power PC machine
Mac Pro 10.6.8 | Reason 6 | MPD32
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

kdgh wrote:renoise is also an option. looks similar to ableton imo
it is indeed. and it doesnt require that much cpu to work.

works good on mac, i've been using it the last 5 years with no problems!
and cheap!