minimal article on pitchfork

- open
emoke
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by emoke »

That article is well written, this is all I can say! Though I need more time to 'digest' it.. It's kinda difficult to understand at some points (for non-English speakers). At least I like the fact that the guy shows his point of view and explains things.
I'm just bored of people saying all the time that minimal is a hype and it's a matter of time when it will disappear (soon they say?)
Just they can't understand that minimal (be techno or house) is not about the new youngster fans at all. Who loves minimal for real - will love it forever! :)
I own all of your candies!
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Cannot agree enough with Emoke: this whole "minimal is the new hype" is p*ssing me off too since I still can remember the begining of House and Techno with almost the same discussions (it's hype, blah blah, it won't last and so on).
Now, if I follow Plaster's threat (and so I will) I'd like to add that this is a typically UK Pop Culture thing: saerching for the new big thing, then dissing it, then finding another one and go on like that for years which will lead you to a situation where someone like Baby Ford almost don't play in England anymore, just because he plays what he feels and not what the hype tells.
Dunno if some of you have bought the Mixmag edition with the Richie Hawtin (who is, in my humble opinion the most surevaluated guy in our little world) set, but they already seem to get bored with what they call Minimal, so let's wait a little more and everything will be okay again.
On the other hand, haven't house and techno always be minimal?
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

what does the word 'surevaluated' mean? ive checked the english dictionary and thesaurus and can't seem to get a definition :?
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

primevil wrote:what does the word 'surevaluated' mean? ive checked the english dictionary and thesaurus and can't seem to get a definition :?
:oops:
Arghl, sorry, I did some freestyle translation from French to English. What I was trying to say is that, in my opinion, he's one of the most over-estimated producer these days.
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

i think the proliferation of the term minimal has come about because a lot of the music press are scared to use the word techno because of teh stigma attached to it...

people are using minimal as a genre, but its not, its just a way of describing something, and 90% of 'minimal' stuff is techno... theres been minimal techno for years and years...

but, in the UK especially, techno has always had this cloud over it, people not understanding it, or having an experience of some 200BPM gabber aged 16 and being told 'this is techno' and thinking thats all it is

there is a hype around 'minimal' but hopefully it'll open peoples ears to a techno sound, and bring techno to a new audience, which I think is one of the things teh article notes :)
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

mayzee wrote:there is a hype around 'minimal' but hopefully it'll open peoples ears to a techno sound, and bring techno to a new audience, which I think is one of the things teh article notes :)
I agree with you, but I'm not sure if this hype will bring more people to listen to techno or to what they call "minimal": they'll sure do for a while and then move to something else.

A good subject for a threat would be what the next big thing to raise in the electonic world will be.... For exemple, I lately found a set by a DJ who was naming his sound "minimal dubtronik breakstep", nice one, huh? :D
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

one of the websites my mixes go on (www.underyournose.co.uk) has 'homemadepunkelectronica' as their tag..

i like that :)
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

mayzee wrote:'homemadepunkelectronica'
Hey, nice one! :D
A big classic in the place I used to live would be "Electrotekhouse" (gee?) :shock: