i would love to find a reason why

- open
seth
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by seth »

i have to agree. not many producers are making timeless music. also i think labels are becoming more about puting out hits. that may be huge for 5 month but have no real staying power.

however i think there are some artist like Kalabres are making true strides in audio ventures. i also feel that cadenza as a label is making some track that will be looked at as true classics. case and point, Father!!! that sh!t is a dance classic. it will work today tomorrow and in 10 years. will something like "loco dice seeing through shadows" do the same? i dont think so.

people need to become more concept oriented and stop trying to make music for people on drugs at parties.

also i think the ableton surge has allowed more people to make music, whom dont have a real girp on all dance history . not just techno or house but disco and r&b and soul.

i dont know in the end its becoming vary hard to find records the wow me. but incresing easy to find great tools.
if thing don't progress, will the future truly come
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

More technology, more producers, more overnight hits, more, more, more.

Sometimes I just want to unplug and play a drum. :)
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

I dunno...

I find that most people don't know what I'm playing anyway, as there isn't much of a minimal scene here...

so when I'm playing I'll quite often have about 1/3 to 1/2 of my bag with older stuff in...
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

seth wrote:people need to become more concept oriented and stop trying to make music for people on drugs at parties.
Hell yeah, didn't dare to say this, but I agree.

It's also funny when you see someone play Quadrant Dub and when a kid go to the DJ booth and ask if that's already out. What's a bit worrying is when the kid asks the same questions two weeks later :?

Besides, Voigt is definitly the man to say this type of things, just have a listen at Love Inc "Respect", makes me still go crazy today :D
emoke
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by emoke »

it's all about the elitism... :roll:
I own all of your candies!
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

emoke wrote:it's all about the elitism... :roll:
I don't think so - people aren't making enough timeless records and/or are throwing crap together that sounds really good for awhile but doesn't offer enough substance to keep listening once your sick of listening to that "one cool section you like". sh!t sounds cool and is fun for awhile.. lots of good talent out there but it takes another type of producer to write something that'll be loved just the same in ten years from now. Just look back at some old records that are being played today that still work (not talking about things that people just play to be all retro-centric.. talking about stuff that still sounds current).
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Dunno, on one hand there's always been this trainspotting thing, I mean people playing the latest tracks to brag and so on like "Hey, you don't have that record but I do", on the other there's so many producers jumping on the minimal trend right now without giving a sh!t about what's have been done, say, ten years ago that the result is a hell lot of records sounding like another record which came out one week ago, people producing just to produce without even thinking about what they're trying to tell...

As Seth said "its becoming vary hard to find records the wow me. but incresing easy to find great tools", and I guess the point of a tool isn't to be timeless or to tell something or wtf, but just to be useful...
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

the bottom line is not to waste your time complaining
(easier said than done)
because this is how the music industry works, it's been done over and over again and now it's (most surprisingly ;-) happening... again

the only thing left now is to go live an island, build a super secret laser gun, call the US president and threaten to destroy major cities if he doesn't pledge allegiance to your supreme power.... hmm, i have the feeling this happened before too... or was it a movie... damn hard to be original these days