villalobos about ableton

- ask away
swarlied
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by swarlied »

I think that this interview has some realy interesting points about electronic vs conventional music in general. What makes me a little bit sceptic is his critism about modern technology, for example he is calling internet the "information monster". and no ones knows, if the informations are wrong or true. well, big news: This rule counts for all informations, since the beginning of human history. Not just the informations from the www. It depends on the person who is giving informations to you, and what goals he is aiming for giving it to you. An information is not automaticly more true, because its written in the newspaper. There are some realy interesting academic studies answering this question with the fact, that social media driven informations can be much more reliable than conventional monologue-driven informations.
I think Villalobos is one of the persons out there beeing sceptic and deeply inside some kind of afraid to the big and very dynamic information-technology-driven revolution of the way people and data are communicating and representing in realtime. I from my myself think that the internet itself will turn out to be the most influencal and important technology for human beeings since the invention of the wheel. But I also think that some informations cant simply be googled even today. For some things, deeper things, you often stil need books. A matter of time, this last advance will be flushed away.

So this sceptic and fearness is allways searching for argues and facts to express is critism and love for more past-orientated things which get lost through the rise of new technologies. and people who dont like things, will always find and see argue ignoring technical and mathematical facts. I remember Villalobos also as the inventor of the "safe the vinyl" organisation. All this is some kind of observations from my perspective let me come to the conclusion that in his world this may be all true. but in your or my world there is no reason no to work with techn. like ableton live until it will reach the state where its possible to create something which cant be beaten with analogue gear. and sooner or later, i am sure this day will come.

finally from what I have learned in 15 years of making music. dont get crazy by some old people trying to say your tools are crap. A good musician can be mindblowing even with a broken guitar. it depends on the way you play it far more than its pyhsical limitations. dont let yourself lose orientation of your way doing it. He is also an old and well respected dj looking at a dramatically changing world, which could at the end change things for him in a way he dont want to see.
nicogrubert
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nicogrubert »

miro pajic wrote:who says that using ableton is bound to use EQ8, redux, ableton compressor, reverb or ping pong delay?

you have all the freedom and creativity of your mind to make the decisions in what plugins you use, how you handle your samples, loops, mix or whatever...

give 2 guys with different talent, experience, creativity, open-mindness and inspiration the same palette with 8 oil colors and look at the results...
that's the point.
Of course it's easy to identify a track made with ableton live if you hear the beat repeat, ping pong delay and other ableton plugins.
I do not use any of the live internal plugins nor I use lots of loops which might sound ableton'ish due to live's warping mode.
I sequence everything with midi - yeah, old fashioned, but it works fine me ;-). I only use 3rd plugins (arturia, NI, UAD-2 quad omni, powercore6000) so I doubt one can identify if a track is made with ableton or logic or anything else.

Remember, that ableton live is just a tool to bring your ideas to music. 8)
bip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bip »

hydrogen wrote:
bip wrote:
hydrogen wrote:sorry guys... but this thread is just all kinds of crap.
because you own the truth... but don't feel like you want to share with us today?
can we hope for tomorrow?
What do you want to know about Ableton? how to mix in it?

keep your levels well under -6db and work in 32 bit.

get a good soundcard.

also experiment with more than ableton plugins so you don't sound like everyone else...

get a microphone and get some hardware.

buy or learn some skills
ehm... you are funny
and what about coming back to earth?
looks like you are too used to give cliché advice to everybody here

it is arrogant from your side to say a thread is full of crap (ok there is some, but you can filter...), you don't justify your statement with facts... and post... more crap... then a couple of clichés as dessert. if you don't have nothing to say... say nothing... find a hobby (music?)

thank you!
...::::....::::....::::...
Cheaper
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cheaper »

:lol:

:|

chill out guys
soundcloud.com/capsularecordings
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

bip wrote:thank you!
You are welcome and have fun with your DAW!! :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
aciduss
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by aciduss »

I make music to make people dance and have a good time not for snobbish producers who recognize a specific vst / daw sound, who cares if you know i used grain delay... most dancers won't give a sh!t they will go just "that's fucking trippy man, do it again". :lol:

BTW what's the deal with fucking word filters... haha haven't noticed that sh!t.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

aciduss wrote:I make music to make people dance and have a good time not for snobbish producers who recognize a specific vst / daw sound, who cares if you know i used grain delay... most dancers won't give a sh!t they will go just "that's fcking trippy man, do it again". :lol:
awesome f*cking point !!!

p.s. i <3 grain delay, i put that sh!t in my cereal
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

Depre wrote:
aciduss wrote:I make music to make people dance and have a good time not for snobbish producers who recognize a specific vst / daw sound, who cares if you know i used grain delay... most dancers won't give a sh!t they will go just "that's fcking trippy man, do it again". :lol:
awesome f*cking point !!!

p.s. i <3 grain delay, i put that sh!t in my cereal
I hear you, grain delay is trippy sh¡t 8)