Sending demo's

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

pheek wrote:A first in the label's demo submission history: i received a "demo" link to a mp3 shop of an artist. Although we can listen to the tracks on the player, the guy insist that I should pay for the tracks to consider them. You read correctly, I need to pay to get this demo.

This is the most confusing submission ever, even after i tried to explain him our situation and that sending links to the tracks for downloading would really make things easier. He still insists that if i'll play tracks, i should pay.

Thank god i dont pay for all demos I get... :?

What do you guys think???
I think you should offer him a free netlabel release. It's not all about money.
Smear
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Smear »

He should offer him a solid kick in the trousers.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

steevio wrote:there isnt anything more to say about sending demos.
just send them, if you're a talented musician you're going to succeed eventually whatever happens.
For some reason I don't quite believe that...
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Red Kite wrote:
just send them, if you're a talented musician you're going to succeed eventually whatever happens.
I totally agree with Steevio.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

pheek wrote:A first in the label's demo submission history: i received a "demo" link to a mp3 shop of an artist. Although we can listen to the tracks on the player, the guy insist that I should pay for the tracks to consider them. You read correctly, I need to pay to get this demo.

This is the most confusing submission ever, even after i tried to explain him our situation and that sending links to the tracks for downloading would really make things easier. He still insists that if i'll play tracks, i should pay.

Thank god i dont pay for all demos I get... :?

What do you guys think???
I would tell him that if I have to pay for the demo and I decide to sign it he will be getting a slightly lower royalty rate for acting like an ass.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Red Kite wrote:
how can you believe anything other than that? really, i am always stunned when people talk about this like its a conspiracy?

i suppose it does depend on your interpretations of "talented" but there is no shortage of labels dying to get their hands on exciting, talented producers.

if you try for years and send demos and don't get records out its ONLY because they aren't good enough. that simple.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Atheory wrote:
Red Kite wrote:
how can you believe anything other than that? really, i am always stunned when people talk about this like its a conspiracy?

i suppose it does depend on your interpretations of "talented" but there is no shortage of labels dying to get their hands on exciting, talented producers.

if you try for years and send demos and don't get records out its ONLY because they aren't good enough. that simple.
OR because your sending to the wrong labels that either arent looking or dont fit your sound.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Okay, maybe this discussion is pointless unless we clear some terms like "talented" and "release". I agree, it's probably no big deal for someone who does good music to release his stuff on some no-name netlabel or some never-heard-of digital label.

But I can't really consider that a, what should I call it, decent (?) release. It gains you about as much reputation as when you throw your stuff out over the mnml members tracks section. A release should be something that makes you heard by DJs and people in the scene. I'm not talking about fame here, more like... becoming part of the crew. Going to a party and hear someone play your tune (someone you didn't already know before).

And reaching that point is a little more complicated then finding someone who throws your stuff somewhere on the web to rot there. And that's the point you also hardly reach just by making good music. Here we come to the things that really get you releases.

First of all of course: Having the luck to know thew right people. And yes, that's luck, not something that happens automatically when you're just in the right mind (unless of course you're hot chick; that always helps :wink: ) Being part of the family equals being part of the release schedule, that's the rule of the game.

I know that the few releases I got so far I only got because I happened to be in school together with a certain person. That doesn't mean what I put out so far is bad music (at least I hope it isn't) but I know that what made it happen wasn't sending out demos.

The second thing that helps with the demo thing is being part of the mainstream. The labels releasing newcomers will not take the risk releasing an unknown artist with a sound that doesn't confirm with the club rules (especially on vinyl), no matter how good they think the music is. C'mon, if I were in a position to run a label I'd think the same if it's my money on the bet. That has nothing to do with conspiracies, that's just the way things like that work.

There are of course exceptions to that, some labels who care and some artists who are lucky but a rather big amount of luck will always be involved.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)