villalobos about ableton

- ask away
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

That villalobos has rusttled some leaves. Two forums, multiple topics. For me it all comes down to the sound comparison of the native synths and effects respective to each Daw. That's really when I notice the difference in sound.! Having used Live for 3 years and recently switching to Logic, I think the synth/effects in Live pale in comparison to Logic's. Just my opinion.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

hydrogen = arrogant maker of cliche crap desserts
jasonhamer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jasonhamer »

jobbanaught wrote:Please, not this sh!t again...

Despite all the rumors, there have been a lot of experiments that showed that Logic, Cubase, Live etc... all sound exactly the same, as long as we are talking about digital summing, which is the main contribution of the DAW. The FX are obviously different, but tbh i just dont get what Villalobos meant there. I mean Ive heard a lot of tracks and recognized the Beat Repeat FX or the Filter Delay from Live, but i seriously doubt that anyone can recognize a track by the sound of the DAW. You may be able to tell by the way the track is programmed or which synths are used, but thats a byproduct of the setup and the workflow of the DAW, not the sound engine.
wrong wrong wrong, start up logic take a kick or clap snare hit ... listen to it then trow it in a sampler in ableton. Even my grandmother can hear that difference. Much more sharper, sparkly type... make your samples sound nice (in the beginning) but do want that in your mix, i think not!

EDIT: by the way i seen the interview with Villalobos after i noticed it myself and started google that sh#t..
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

I've always liked what hydrogen has to say. Chill out!!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

jessejames wrote:hydrogen = arrogant maker of cliche crap desserts
damn right! They are delicious! 8)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

jasonhamer youre not making much sense, which one is sharper? and why wouldnt you want that in your mix? :?:
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

jasonhamer wrote:wrong wrong wrong, start up logic take a kick or clap snare hit ... listen to it then trow it in a sampler in ableton. Even my grandmother can hear that difference. Much more sharper, sparkly type... make your samples sound nice (in the beginning) but do want that in your mix, i think not!
ok... so you hear a difference. and a single snare sounds warm to you? Well use logic then. maybe its a difference of the sampler. How it upsamples and down samples a sound.

Regardless, warmer doesn't sound very "neutral" to me... which is what villalobos was talking about.
Bip wrote:you don't justify your statement with facts... and post... more crap...
let me post some more sh!t... while not backing it up with any facts. There are no facts on this whole "ableton sound Sucks" debate. its all opinion and experiences.

The list i kindly put together was has improved my sound dramatically. If thats cliche' well so is making music on a computer.

Some others have put some good words in here too...
swarlied wrote:... what I have learned in 15 years of making music. dont get crazy by some old people trying to say your tools are crap. A good musician can be mindblowing even with a broken guitar. it depends on the way you play it far more than its pyhsical limitations. dont let yourself lose orientation of your way doing it. He is also an old and well respected dj looking at a dramatically changing world, which could at the end change things for him in a way he dont want to see.
so true!! 5 years ago...I was at 611 records in philly buying records... Josh Wink happen to be there shopping too... I recall they were talking about playing tennis and sh!t... After a while, I interrupted them to talk about production and I mentioned that I made all my stuff on reason. and Nigel Richards was like... "haha... hear that Wink... this kid uses Reason..." in an insulting way... like it was some sort of voodoo or something against all their stuff. Fast Forward 5 years and you've got many many producers soley on reason.
patrick bateman wrote:I'm not sure I can put on a record and tell if it's made in Logic, Ableton, Cubase, Reason etc etc etc.. (and I'm quite sure many people who say they can, actually can't)
True! additionally if the tools are used in a particular way i could tell the difference... i.e. Reason LPF filter, Reason Compressor(overdriven), improper gainstaging and not using 32bit in ableton, other things you mentioned(ping pong delay, grain delay),... i don't have enough experience in the other programs to know... and in the end who gives a fck.
Depre wrote:i <3 grain delay, i put that sh!t in my cereal
Grain delay is some good sh!t. :)

Anyways... This video spotted on miro pajic's blog... really opened my eyes when it comes down to these debates..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ[/quote]

------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

Raddler wrote:That villalobos has rusttled some leaves. Two forums, multiple topics. For me it all comes down to the sound comparison of the native synths and effects respective to each Daw. That's really when I notice the difference in sound.! Having used Live for 3 years and recently switching to Logic, I think the synth/effects in Live pale in comparison to Logic's. Just my opinion.
That's an opinion I've seen shared 100's of times, but again at the end of the day, if the track has a great grove who cares what tools were used, just give credit the tools were used in a good way - take folks shake their ass