techno isnt about the past, its about the future

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

but i feel like i've said everything that i can do. who has the right to tell anyone else what is meaningful to them or not?

I was watching a Star Trek episode earlier, and it fit into that idea about evaluating the present thru fantasy. interesting.

Anyways. I'm off to keep being inspired by meaningful culture. And then to make music that is annoying to most techno heads and also annoying to most experimental heads. ha ha.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Is is is is is, nothing IS, everything seems relative!

I believe someone said it already.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

pafufta816 wrote:some of the discussion here is going nowhere. some of these "disagreements" aren't even such, instead i keep reading "well that's your opinion, but my opinion is in bold and caps so i'm more right than you are!!! nananananan." boring, i don't even care to read the dozen paragraphs i'm seeing here.

what i'd like to see is people citing references and not personal opinion. this is potentially a very interesting subject steeped in history, sociology, politics, technology.
so instead of making negative comments about other peoples posts that you dont want to read, why not make a positive contribution yourself about this interesting subject.
come on bro, this is a forum, people say things, then they're misunderstood, then it goes off at a tangent while the first person defends his position....etc etc. its inevitable...
come on, change direction for us.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

I've just bought a Roland TR707 - I am going to make my first foray into music. I have the technology - its an old bit of kit- Its the passion I work that makes this.

How about next getting a maschine and wusing Records to record congas live and me hitting a fork with a can.

Anything can be music - its great, I always say to myself and have this written down in my notebook,

Is what I am doing moving people, is what I am playing keeping people interested.

These are the two questions I am asking myself the few times I spin in front an audience.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'd just like to finish my involvement in this thread by saying something positive.

i'm optimistic about the future of techno, i think there are already signs its moving forward. theres nothing wrong with looking at the past to its roots and taking inspiration from the pioneers, as long as you dont copy it wholesale. its the way all music evolves.

techno has the best chance of perpetual evolution of almost any musical form, thats why i got into it in the first place.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

steevio wrote:i'd just like to finish my involvement in this thread by saying something positive.

i'm optimistic about the future of techno, i think there are already signs its moving forward. theres nothing wrong with looking at the past to its roots and taking inspiration from the pioneers, as long as you dont copy it wholesale. its the way all music evolves.

techno has the best chance of perpetual evolution of almost any musical form, thats why i got into it in the first place.
I agree,
All of the people that thinks techno as a genre isn't moving forward have not been listening to the stuff that they don't immediately see as fitting in your particular sub-genres box. There is a ton of stuff that is in-between sub genres that doesn't get picked up on the radar of everybody right away. There's even pop music that will fit in a mix with allot of modern techno that people won't touch because of political elitism within the techno community. Personally i would like to see more djs take a chance and play a set that was wide open to everything and i can't see that anywhere except in the cabaret scene in Detroit. I like some minimal but honestly an entire set of modern minimal will just put me to sleep.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Phase Ghost wrote:
Casanova808 wrote:This thread is why white people shouldn't be allowed to talk about techno.
Not sure what to say, but this has me laughing. Could be the 5 IPA's I drank tonight.
Totally OT but what IPA you drinking? I am also a futuristic beer nerd. I just drank Port Brewing's High Tide. I live in San Diego which is like the capital of hoppy nonsense.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Torque wrote:
steevio wrote:i'd just like to finish my involvement in this thread by saying something positive.

I agree,
All of the people that thinks techno as a genre isn't moving forward have not been listening to the stuff that they don't immediately see as fitting in your particular sub-genres box. There is a ton of stuff that is in-between sub genres that doesn't get picked up on the radar of everybody right away. There's even pop music that will fit in a mix with allot of modern techno that people won't touch because of political elitism within the techno community. Personally i would like to see more djs take a chance and play a set that was wide open to everything and i can't see that anywhere except in the cabaret scene in Detroit. I like some minimal but honestly an entire set of modern minimal will just put me to sleep.
Again, 2 great contributions to the thread.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban