Netlabels vs GEMA

- free art
mton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mton »

In Denmark, KODA (is equivalent to GEMA) does not collect royalties from artists who use their own music on a website.
Can you point me to an official article about this? ...as far as i know KODA does not allow members to give there music away for free online. That’s why they started that project about how to sell your music online through some webshop provider or something.
...but i may be wrong.
Kobbe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kobbe »

mton wrote:
In Denmark, KODA (is equivalent to GEMA) does not collect royalties from artists who use their own music on a website.
Can you point me to an official article about this? ...as far as i know KODA does not allow members to give there music away for free online. That’s why they started that project about how to sell your music online through some webshop provider or something.
...but i may be wrong.
http://www.koda.dk/medlemmer/faqfolder. ... 9982502244 (Danish language)
mton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mton »

Thanks for this, though i have read that article before. And unfortunately it states that the permission is only given if you use your own music on your own website. So basically this does not mean that it's ok for members to release stuff on netlabels.
applejux
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by applejux »

sad issue indeed. from what i know, (which ain't much), here in spain, pablo bolivar, who's at regular (regularlabel.com), uses the alias Paper for his netlabel releases. that seems to be an easy scapatory, maybe not the best from a marketing perspective, but a solution.

my 5 cents.
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

mton wrote:Thanks for this, though i have read that article before. And unfortunately it states that the permission is only given if you use your own music on your own website. So basically this does not mean that it's ok for members to release stuff on netlabels.
in those cases you want to release on a netlabel it could be an option to host the release on your own site, and let the site of the netlabel link to your 'download/audio/whatever' section, and noone can say anything?
Katzenjammer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Katzenjammer »

For me, I guess I've decided to take part in the hide & seek game. Publish tracks on netlabels under alias and so on. Since STIM/NCB (swedish organisation) won't allow me to do as a please. I hide, they seek.

I've been a member for so long, long before netlabels and this issue even existed.

Dunno, perhaps I'll leave, depends on the outlook of the future. They have been starting to make changes to the organisation, but I doubt there will ever be such a thing as a "partial" membership.
[url=http://partikel.bandcamp.com]Partikel - Ark 1 out now on tape and digital[/url]
Lee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lee »

i'm still trying to decide if i should become a member of socan or not. if i did then some friends would end up in potentially awkward legal positions regarding my music. but at the same time it's eventually not going to make practical sense for me to boycott the collection agencies anymore.

the question of enforcement is interesting too, what are the chances that gema would have attacked thinner over pheek's music? probably slim to none, but in the end they removed the release anyway. i wonder if this was done because of the desire to function within the constraints of the law, rather than as a result of any real threat of legal action on gema's part?

cheers
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Lee wrote:i'm still trying to decide if i should become a member of socan or not. if i did then some friends would end up in potentially awkward legal positions regarding my music. but at the same time it's eventually not going to make practical sense for me to boycott the collection agencies anymore.

the question of enforcement is interesting too, what are the chances that gema would have attacked thinner over pheek's music? probably slim to none, but in the end they removed the release anyway. i wonder if this was done because of the desire to function within the constraints of the law, rather than as a result of any real threat of legal action on gema's part?

cheers
I suggest contacting SOCAN with your questions. SOCAN is very great and they have a tight, solid team working behind the scenes. They do good work.