monitor question

- ask away
james hill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

monitor question

Post by james hill »

Hey there! Im wanting to complete my set up with a decent pair of monitors and have been considering the krk V8 Series 2's. Currently i am using a pair of Tannoy Hi Fi speakers and a rotel amp which sounds nice but i know is not ideal for producing.

My question is! How do monitors speakers sound in comparison to Hi Fi speakers? As well as for producing i would like to use them for listening to records and for Djing but i was wondering if the flat response that they offer will result in a flat sound?

Sorry if this sounds a stupid question!

Cheers James
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

u can allways eq them when not producing but i never do.
and u deff wont get a "flat sound" :D
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

oi oiiii James.. nice to see u in the producing section :wink:

The main thing is that u get honest monitors.. Hi-fi speakers almost always enhance the sound, cuz they are aimed for listening purposes.. and thats not a good quality when u are making music, cuz what u work on might sound good or the way u want it to sound like, but when u hear it back on proper monitors itll sound completely different.. hope this helps at all
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

when shopping for monitors
let your ears do the talking (and your wallet...)
listen to all of them and decide
it's the best thing, monitors is quite personal

i like the roland d50 a lot, which i use at the moment
and of course the genelecs (but my bank account doesn't)
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

also you should consider how big your room is.

KRK V8 are quite big monitors. they will sound fantastic in a big room. but they will probably do more harm than good in a small room.
james hill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by james hill »

Hey Shadi hope you are well. One day i'm sure we'll meet again!

Thanks for the advise guys. Im up in London next week so i plan to check out some speakers then. I'm looking forward to it! :)
maks
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maks »

unless your room resembles a closet, it doesnt matter how big or flat the speakers are in respect to room size(well almost, cause an 80hz wave is close to 10ft in length:), yet, practically speaking what is important is to take care of the rooms acoustics with some type of treatment(bookshelves, couch,etc, or pro stuff like fiberglass). "50%" of what you hear in your room is the rooms reactions mixed with your speakers which off-sets their flat response. If your interested for further info, check this site out, its full of info on acoustics, the prices for those panels are quite expensive but it does give info on DIY. Foam in my opinion is a waste of time compared to fiberglass.
If your serious about a killer mixing environment, i suggest getting the best, biggest monitors you could afford while leaving a budget for treatment.

www.realtraps.com
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Let us know how the hunt for the ultimate monitors is goin for ya James.. i for one am curious :wink: Hope you're well matey..