Unreleased music being shared - politics

- wax
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Unreleased music being shared - politics

Post by pheek »

Ok, this has been discussed many times and I think we need to go over it one more time as many people don't seem to know the impact of using unreleased material.

If you are in possession of a new track of an artist you like and that track is unreleased:

1. Yes, you're very cool for that.

2. You're exposing the artist to a serious problem: the label interested (or planning to release it) might not go into production. This is a situation I have seen at least 3 times last year and once this year. I'm also facing this situation myself and am pretty mad at the moment.

3. Keep the music for yourself, don't share it on slsk. This is NOT HELPING anyone.

4. If you're a DJ, please contact the artist before using the track in a set.

5. I just learned that many people "rip" music from the Myspace player (or any other players on Myspace that has a better quality), well... if you do so, please KEEP IT FOR YOU.

We discussed 100 times about sharing, if its cool or not and had endless discussions about it. At this point, all i can say is, for god's sake, sharing unreleased material DOES HAVE CONSEQUENCES on the artist's plans. Keep that in mind.

:(
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

i agree with the little quebecan dude
Harm Rhebergen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harm Rhebergen »

JP, you're sooo right about this! Peeps, please read Pheek's statement/request carefully and please not only read it, but also do as requested!!!

Thanks JP for this topic and pointing this out!

8)

ps: I made this topic sticky!
*I support southern fruits*
Dàsz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dàsz »

pheek wrote:5. I just learned that many people "rip" music from the Myspace player (or any other players on Myspace that has a better quality), well... if you do so, please KEEP IT FOR YOU.
I think the best idea for this point is to not put the whole track on those players :wink:
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Dàsz wrote:
pheek wrote:5. I just learned that many people "rip" music from the Myspace player (or any other players on Myspace that has a better quality), well... if you do so, please KEEP IT FOR YOU.
I think the best idea for this point is to not put the whole track on those players :wink:
true!
dzan
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dzan »

totally agree with you!
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

The myspace detail freaks me out...
Cleetus_Van_Damme
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cleetus_Van_Damme »

this is what is killing d+b, its simple economics.

Bedroom producers = cottage industry. Nil returns, even if/when track is signed.

Bedroom producer gives tune to mate to listen to - mate sticks tune up on a p2p sharer.

People grab track, go on forums, go 'im producer xyz's biggest fan' (but im not going to buy their trax, i just got it for free).

Producer xyz when producing now holds tunes back exclusively for them, meaning their is 0 chance of it hitting the market, thus keeping them in nil returns.

The amount of times I have played out and have seen dj's called out/thrown off the decks for playing dodgy cd's of tracks they have no right to own is unbelievable!!!

I just play safe, I sold my CD deck, I had very little use for it anyway. My house is strictly vinyl only! If its on vinyl, its official, your harming nobody, end of!