hardware for live gigs

- ask away
rkampschoer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rkampschoer »

I've always used (and still do when I do 2 hour or longer livesets) an MPC2000XL loaded with samples, and controlling other hardware.

:)
www.robinkampschoer.com
sometimes, less is more...
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Check out the emu command stations and samplers.

I also rock out on the korg electribes. They are fricking awesome for live performance.
Fifer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Fifer »

We use ....
the roland SP 808, MC 505, D2 groovebox,and a Korg ER 1.
We haven't had any problems with Korg, it works fine for what were doing.
But I've heard a lot of people trash the whole korg electribe line.
push the button. push push the button.

http://www.myspace.com/digitaldreamtheory
are3as
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by are3as »

My good friend uses the Korg Electribe for production and the live scenario. He has two Electribe EM-1's and a Korg Triton Workstation: The the last workstation model that contained the 3.5 inch floppy discs. All that is midi thru an M-audio interface that has Reason synced with the hardware. The Reason program is mainly used for additional synths. I like tweaking on the synth modules in Reason, so its kinda fun to combine the technology.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

The heart of my setup is a yamaha rs7000.
pluses
-Incredible realtime tweaking possible. I dont get buying hardware without knobs, like hte mpcs. All the standard knobs for synth parameters (pitch,envelope, filter,etc) plus a really cool midi efx section. Its funny to believe that there are midi tracks i can pull off that are not supported yet by ableton.
-realtime sequencing. Not all machines let you press play and later record without stopping the show.
-decent sampling time, cool internal sounds. I dont sample much because samplign with hardware is a pain in the ass and the rest of my gear makes the soudns i want. Some people dont like the synth rompler, but i find very unique sounds everytime i turn the right knob.
-output exansion possible.
minuses
-size and weight of a 1200 - ugh
-smart media card storage

The newer korgs with teh fake tubes are also well received. I havent used one, but everytime i see someone that has one, they spend a lot of tiem with it.

i think elektron is making a sampling machine drum. A friend sold his 909 nd 808 and got a machine a few years ago and hasnt looked back.

a sign of the times might be that stewart replaced his sampler with a laptop.
freeeeeee
enra
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by enra »

The korgg emx and esx doesnt have fake tubes. If you want to make a warm and fat sound you WILL use them.
For a live set i use 2x EMX korg 2x sp606(does everything i want). Some midi controllers to have more knobs, a mixer, and a gitar fx box. For minimal use you dont need more.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

dunkel wrote:well,
the sp-808 sounds cool n looks nice too, how exactly does it work? how do i load my loops there (if ever)?
you can find the older version SP 808 groove sampler (100 MEG ZIP) for around $400 online. http://ebay.com I paid full price for mine years ago. something like $1400 or so in the late 90's.

I find this unit useful for playing the sample pad live and using the effects. I found it extramlly limited for production work and more or less bought the unit (years ago) when my tape recorder broke and I wanted to get into recording my music on a digital source other than a computer. the reason I purchased it was to use the 4 track digital recorder. I initially used it to record full tracks from hardware. using the sample features to create tracks I found to be very annoying.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

enra wrote:The korgg emx and esx doesnt have fake tubes. If you want to make a warm and fat sound you WILL use them.
For a live set i use 2x EMX korg 2x sp606(does everything i want). Some midi controllers to have more knobs, a mixer, and a gitar fx box. For minimal use you dont need more.
the tubes are real, but starved. you dont get a good tube preamp until you start spending over a grand, and that box cost undr a grand.

im not saying it sucks, but nobody buying that box because of its tubes. open yours up and hten ask korg why they put lights under the tubes.
freeeeeee