Minimal Monitoring

- ask away
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Minimal Monitoring

Post by ArhiteK »

I suppose a lot of You guys are gradualy equipping Your studios, and one of the hardest choices is, at least for me, finding right monitors.

After a little research, i focused on few models in middle class, so I will share my findings with You, and would be very gratefull if any of You with real experience in using those can add some real life stories.

So, finalists are:

1. Mackie HR624 - reviews say that this is THE referent monitor. Well balanced, not to pricey, cool bass response for monitors of this size, precise highs.

2. Tanoy Reveal 6D - very precise monitor according to mags, but lacks a bit on a low end, and in stereo imaging. Although realistic monitors, maybe not a choice for minimal dance productions.

3. M-Audio BX8 - boxes a bit on a hi-fi side, good thump and strong presence, but if compared to more referent models, but not as "honest" to Your mix.

4. Yamaha HS80M - hmmm... hard to resolve all the reviews. It is very precise and realistic, but again a bit short on a low end, and some say to present and hard on mids and highs.

5. Tapco S8 - they compare them a lot with Macke HR824, but softer, weaker and not as highdef sounding as those. Strong and a bit flattering basses. NOt enough info on net.

6. KRK RP6 - good, strong enough, but lack a bit on low end, and push a bit too far in mids. not enough info...

So, does this sounds fair? Plese add some more choices, some more data, reviews and experiences. I'm sure a lot of us will find this very usefull...
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Ideally, i would go to a store and ask them to hook the speakers up for me and hear for myself. Don't bother considering reviews much, it's a part of a marketing campaign, so you'll never ever see a bad product review. My sudgestion is, go to the store and hear for yourself.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

plaster wrote:Ideally, i would go to a store and ask them to hook the speakers up for me and hear for myself. Don't bother considering reviews much, it's a part of a marketing campaign, so you'll never ever see a bad product review. My sudgestion is, go to the store and hear for yourself.
haha, i opened this post already knowing what you said.. i love you man.

and yeah, he is right. But if you can't at least someone could offer their opinions, but remember opinions are biased, if you got the money, buy two pairs, 45day-cash back at most places thats enough time to test some out.
oz_music
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oz_music »

i reckon the tanoy ones are much better than the other on your post,they need a sub though,i ve been searching for the best affordable monitors a long time,if you want precise low end you have to take a sub or just spend some more money to buy something better.focal are my favourites and they cost around 1500 euros,but this is the reference monitor you are looking for..i got genelec 1030 and can asure you that focal solo6 are way better than genelec 1030 same price...go for it..
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

i say if your room is not very small go for 8inch..

cant really help with info on the mentioned models except for that i only heard bad things about Tapco's..
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I just bought the Bx8s. They have an Awesome low end. So far they sound very true to my mixes compared to alot of the places I listen to my tracks. I have noticed if you turn them up REALLY loud the high end is a bit harsh on the ears but you have to turn them up to the point of actually damaging your hearing before it's noticable. I don't ever turn them up that loud so it is not a problem for me.

I listened to many other monitors in guitar center and in the 500 dollar price range they sounded the best. And by the best I mean in comparison to the 1000 dollar and up monitors that I was comparing them to. Your guys producing setup maybe different but I found that the Bx8s I got sounded much better about a foot above ear level on some stands about 4 feet away from you on either side.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

livecollective wrote:
plaster wrote:Ideally, i would go to a store and ask them to hook the speakers up for me and hear for myself. Don't bother considering reviews much, it's a part of a marketing campaign, so you'll never ever see a bad product review. My sudgestion is, go to the store and hear for yourself.
haha, i opened this post already knowing what you said.. i love you man.

I'm starting to be predictive. :D
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

Monitor choice is only half the equation.

Unless you have a correctly treated room your never going to get a accurate response no matter what the speaker.

If you cant treat your room i would recommend put some cash towards a decent set of headphones such as the HD650's.