using factory sequence patches

- ask away
loureed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

using factory sequence patches

Post by loureed »

Say you open up octopus (or a similar vst) and use a patch from the sequence bank or something. And tweak the sound of it but not the actual sequence or any of that....

My conscious gets to me when I do this.

You guys think this is looked down upon like using commercial loops or something?

And when I say sequence Im not talking like a full tune or anything- not with a kick or snare. Just something really loopy and unique that you didn't exactly create.

Really shitty feeling when you put out a tune and your friend knows exactly what synth and patch you used.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Difficult one here really.

Music (and basically life in general) is a borrowed tradition, and in this day and age where the choices we have of whether we borrow/what we borrow/why we borrow/how we borrow are so many, it can be a bit of a minefield.

From my point of view what separates the useful musicians from the useless ones is conscience, so in my opinion if you're already looking at it from a moral point of view then you're already in the right ball park. But maybe others have different ideas.

A good example is Justus Koehnke. That man lifts ideas from wherever he pleases. Basically the whole of 'Timecode' is taken from somebody else's tune. The reason why I see this as acceptable, is that I don't think his intentions were to bastardise something to make himself look big, he just wanted to slay some dancefloors, and happened to like the original tune enough to copy it note for note.

Maybe other people see it completely differently, but in my opinion, it's completely up to you about how you go about your musical business, and no one should tell you what's right or what's wrong. Trust your heart (but keep an eye out for legal issues).

peace, mark.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Ok, my last post seemed like a good idea at the time, but really I don't think it addresses the issues at hand especially well.

In my narrow mind, the idea of conscience comes into it quite a lot, but that would imply that I have clear and selfless intentions, which is complete bullshit. I make music for mostly selfish reasons.

So to revise my statement. I think it comes down to what you add. The Justus Koehnke track is a great example. Yes, the main riff is borrowed, but he has not simply taken from somebody else and said "right, that'll do, how great is my track?!", he has made something new using it.

So, ultimately it is up to you.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Actually if you buy a synth or any program your conscience should be at ease, because people programmed those sounds so you could use them!
It's not a clean game, ALOT of people use presets, samples which came with the software, to name a few examples: Lazy Fat People used alot of samples from the Aroken kit of Battery, Alot of the Cadenza guys are using the sounds from Reaktor Krypt, Superpitcher used a preset(minimal melody) from FM7 in his Enzian track... the list is endless.
Bunch of house producers sample stuff, even each other.
Hell the 909 kick has been used by nearly everyone.

Just do it man, that's what the people above did and look what they achieved.
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: using factory sequence patches

Post by Audio Dependent »

i agree with new guy that there is nothing wrong with it in theory especially if you've paid good money for the vst.
loureed wrote: Really shitty feeling when you put out a tune and your friend knows exactly what synth and patch you used.
however if this is how its making you feel and the you're not satisfied with the music you're making because of it, just leave them well alone.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: using factory sequence patches

Post by SHAP »

loureed wrote: Really shitty feeling when you put out a tune and your friend knows exactly what synth and patch you used.
you answered the question yourself...

i know i would have the same feeling if i would use a drum loop without even changing it...thats why i rather create my own stuff.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

my solution for this problem:

Have different project aliases. For one project i will only use sounds i synthesized myself. For the other project i use whatever loops and presets i like.

I would say the first project is more me and more personal. It's more abstract and it's not easy for other people to get in. But it makes me proud to know that i designed and sequenced every bit of the track myself.

The project with the presets and loops gets much better response from other people. The tracks are much more accessible and dance floor compatible. But they don't mean much to me personally. It's like party fodder. I even use the same structure and count of bars every time. Still people like it.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

i think your goal should be making loops that sound that good or even better by yourself :wink: