that first song

- open
patrick_o
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

that first song

Post by patrick_o »

What was the first track that got you hooked on this crazy genre of music? I was just listening to 808 the bassqueen, the track which kicked it all off for me, and felt that same amazing feeling as when I heard it for the first time, just complete excitement. like that first set, which for me was also villalobos.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

First track was DBX - Spocks Brain, but it didn't click straight away i just loved that track. I then heard Rhythm & Sound - Mango Drive and Maurizo - M5 but still didn't make me discover minimal fully. I was really into Drumcode and Primate techno and Derrick Carter at the time. I then brought DE9 closer to the edit, because i read somewhere that Richie Hawtin was a techno DJ and it was on special offer in the shop. months latter i got blown away by Akufen - Deck the House and i started to realize this was my preferred style of music.

first set i did see Villalobos but he didn't do much for me the first time i saw him. He was good but didn't blow my mind. It was Matt Tolfrey who did that. It was only a warm up set too. This had a massive impact on me which is why i alway like getting to the party early because warm ups are good too.
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

Magda - 48 hour crack in your bass
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
The_Glass_Olive
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The_Glass_Olive »

Rochey wrote:Magda - 48 hour crack in your bass
Yes mate! Omg exactly the same here. That crazy elastic bassline sound, couldn't get enough. That ep is surely one of the heaviest, most bass driven, vibrating pieces of music to this day!

P.s. I think my love of 'crazy' sounds took originated with Woolford's 'erotic discourse'. It's been played to death, but at the time was eye-opening.
re.vise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by re.vise »

Some track of JPLS in Watergate. Woohoo! That bass.
minimim
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by minimim »

It has to be Motorbass - Ezio ( Herbert Mix )
It's ridiculous how hard we try.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

That's the problem with 18 years of dj'ing: it's hard to really tell when you got hooked on this or that style because it evolves more fluently really. I only know the record that made me get hooked on dancemusic for the first time: Phuture: "Acid Tracks". A cousin of mine went to a warehouse party in London where they played "Acid". After some whining he took me along, I didn't know any of that music so he let me listen to "Acid Tracks" on a tape in the car, on the way to the party. And I came into that massive rave, heared these bleeps and sounds blasting through the speakers, and it started of a deep love for dance music (and a deeper love for the 303 sounds especially). I was 13 at the time, now I'm 33 but I still see the faces of the people on that party. Massive memory trip :wink:

The track in more recent times that got me interested in minimal techno again (after a few years into nuskoolbreaks) was definitely Sleeparchive's first EP on his own label. But before that my favourite record in the genre (although we called it just Techno) was DBX: Losing Control.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

For me it was a slow progression from house, hardhouse, techno, electo, tech-house but I think it was Steve Bug's - Bugnology compilation in combination with a party I went to with Steve Bug and Luciano in 2005 that really set me straight.