Mastering, Finalizing

- ask away
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Mastering, Finalizing

Post by Sneaky »

I try and produce abit of stuff and definitely throw my hand at minimal and IDM type productions, but in these days of wma and mp3 formats find the compression to eat alot of warmth i get from the original after its all said and done, i know there is alot of pros in these bytes...so any suggestions, software, or ideas would be great if ya care to share those things...I have played around with sound forge abit and yes i can and do read manuals and tuts...so im not just asking because im a dumbass or looking for a free-ride, im very interested to know what you peps use as i respect your music very much :)
Dopplereffekt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dopplereffekt »

Personally, I use T-RackS in mastering my tracks. It contains an EQ, compressor and a limiter. Especially the limiter is a wicked thing. The stereo images (to expand the stereo width) is a little bit lame, so I use the stereo imager within Reason 3.0 instead. My tracks ware "automatily" mastered by the superb mastering device within Reason but I use the standalone T-rackS the give the tracks the final bite and shape. (If you use an other sequencer which supports plugins/VST you can use T-RackS as an plugin.)

After I use Adobe Audition (which was called CoolEdit in earlier days) to do some last editting: fadings, volume controle and stuff.

http://www.t-racks.com/Main.html?prod_TR_Plug
http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/main.html

Is there some who has used the L3 Waves (multiband limiter) and can share their experiences?

http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=1529
[ññP]
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by [ññP] »

i have just devoted my last week to research on mastering...and i think i have learnt some very interesting and important things...

first, i used the Waves VSTs...like the Waves C4 compessor, The Multimaximizer and the Ultramaximizer, along with Steinberg Cubase VST TL Audio EQ-1 for making some adjustments before the final maximization.

Te manuals of the C4 and the Multimaximizer are really great, i have them if you want them

then, i also found this tutorial, it's nice and easy for a beginning
http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial ... ering1.asp

good luck!
que son esos ruiditos?
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

My best advice is to use host software that runs at the highest internal bit
depth. This is most likely Pro Tools unless you have some serious money
to drop on a Sadie system.

Figuring out when to place in a dynamic processor is crucial...ie: I would
never use a limiter before an EQ.

Read as much as possible. http://www.digido.com/
[ññP]
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by [ññP] »

jpls wrote:Figuring out when to place in a dynamic processor is crucial...ie: I would
never use a limiter before an EQ.
sure...if you use a limiter, its because you want to limit the sound at a determined level (0db for instance, so the track would be automatically "normalized"), and then if you use an EQ you change all the diferent frequencies levels, wich will consequently modify the overall level, so then you may have levels below the desired level, and worst levels above the desired level (clips in this case)...so, if you are not specifically looking for this chaotic result, i advise you (as jpls) to EQ and then limit/maximize....
But, as i said before, perhaps an EQ isn't necesary since a multiband compressor can also play that role
que son esos ruiditos?
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

[ññP] wrote: But, as i said before, perhaps an EQ isn't necesary since a multiband compressor can also play that role
This is not necessarily true. If their are a certain group of odd harmonics
present (most often sounding "woofy") then an EQ is the only way to go.

Another good example...if I am mastering a track which will be primarily
released as an mp3, I cut the very low end very hard. Mp3 encoding will
do this anyways, so I take care of it in the mastering stage so that I can
maximize the total volume I will recevie from the track.

And...EQs are generally more CPU efficient than a multiband compressor.
gooner
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gooner »

my advice would be to use these tools sparingly... sure, boost the volume and eq but don't overdo the master compression as some labels will just tell you to take it all off again! and this could possibly screw you up if you've built up the sound of the track around the master fx... my 2p
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

gooner wrote:my advice would be to use these tools sparingly... sure, boost the volume and eq but don't overdo the master compression as some labels will just tell you to take it all off again! and this could possibly screw you up if you've built up the sound of the track around the master fx... my 2p
this is a great point, mastering should usually be a gentle and subtle process, the last thing you want to do is overproduce a good idea into something it is not.