Minimal theory

- ask away
Kozak
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Minimal theory

Post by Kozak »

Hey guys,

first of all Hi! This is my first post here. Seems like a good place to go when you're interested in minimal music. I got interested in minimal 5 months ago I think. Before that it was techno and before that I didn't even listen to electronic music.

Anyhows I've started producing minimal 4 months ago and I am fairly happy with the results (I will upload some of my tracks in the coming months when I finish them). But I always got the feeling they are missing something. Some tracks on beatport got this funky groove to them that I can't seem to decipher.

Now my question was if you guys use some kind of rhytm(?) scheme for sounds or polyrhytm or if it was just dumping your sounds in the loop and shifting them in the timeline untill it sounds -groovin-.

I do the latter.

Anyhow this might sound idiotic and noobish but then again I am a noob. I hope to be contributing here in the future!

greets
colinstark
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by colinstark »

if you feel your track miss some groove, try the shuffle/swing feature in your daw/drumsynth.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

i think youll find most people rely on luck; or what i like to call it; "experimentation"
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

experimentation indeed, but experience is just as important. The best tip you can get? - Never give up mate
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

Experiment, read tutorials, learn and keep on keeping on.
I think everybody sometimes feel that their tracks could be better, have more groove and so on, but just keep on making songs and they will be better and better
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Yeh make sure you FINISH tracks, even if theyre sh!t; youll soon realise that arrangement is probably the most important thing.,
NickSoundDT
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NickSoundDT »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Yeh make sure you FINISH tracks, even if theyre sht; youll soon realise that arrangement is probably the most important thing.,
+1000

This can't be overemphasized. I'm CONSTANTLY guilty of not finishing tracks, even when they are turning out well.

- Nick
Ableton Live sound design tutorials
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

try turning off quantize! and try not to emulate beatport too much...