copyright laws?

- ask away
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

copyright laws?

Post by yacek »

So someone told me that if a track is at least 70% original you are legally fine. I am asking this question because I made a track with vocals from an acapella that I bought, the entire instrumental is my own just not the vocals. If you knew the artist than you would be able to recognize him on my track, and the vocals do add energy although I didn't use the whole lyrics just one bars worth. you can check the track "mental slavery" on my myspace --> http://myspace.com/yacek if that helps.

please let me know.

EDIT: I am in the United States and I want to release it on a label.
bum-tak
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bum-tak »

sounds awful!

and electro is so yesterday, house is the new chic! :lol:
very bomb ep congrats @ all
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

that someone lied. its needs to be yours 100%, unless you bought the accapella in a sample pack, which copyright deal allows you to use it.
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

that's bs... aaa.... im gonna try to contact the vocalist... also I'm not asking opinions on my tracks here, and to say "electro is yesterday" isn't very forward thinking at all. i listen to minimal too, as well as a whole bunch of stuff and I make music that suits what I like.
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

wait... what about all those hip-hop reworks out there?? they take old soul tracks and then do there own thing with 'em.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

yacek wrote:wait... what about all those hip-hop reworks out there?? they take old soul tracks and then do there own thing with 'em.
Lawyers of the record labels make deals to use most of these things. If you don't have permission you cannot use it for profit. End of story.
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

victorgonzales wrote:
yacek wrote:wait... what about all those hip-hop reworks out there?? they take old soul tracks and then do there own thing with 'em.
Lawyers of the record labels make deals to use most of these things. If you don't have permission you cannot use it for profit. End of story.
i c....
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

victorgonzales wrote:
absolutely correct.

I worked in music licensing for a few years.

its eye opening to see how many writer's are attached to big named rappers/popstars, they really are talentless hacks with a face.

you must obtain full permission from all publishers of a recorded work to use any "sample" of it. Even less then 2 seconds.

yes We all have our personal feelings about copyright law, but these are the rules, for now.

So don't screw yourself into a lawsuit ;)