Optimal level for producing?

- ask away
pamphlet
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Optimal level for producing?

Post by pamphlet »

What is the optimal level you should have your monitors at when producing?
I know volume is all relative, but say 0 is silence and 100 is the average level you'd hear at club.

I really dont know how best to phrase this question but i just feel i'm maybe producing too loud and in the process masking some frequencies.

Are there any guidlines?
mrgreynoise

Post by mrgreynoise »

loud, but don't fck up your hearing or your relationship with the neighbors

sometimes quiet is good, too
Smear
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Smear »

Basically everything between 25 and 100, with nothing left out.
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

produce at lower volume.
when the music is too loud your ears tend to think that the track sounds better.
ears frequency response is not linear at all. it changes at different volume levels.
so, what you might perceive as a good, balanced, powerful mix at loud volume, could reveal itself as a wimpy sounding track at regular listening levels.

also, adjusting instruments levels is way easier at really, really low volume.

in any case, when you're done with the mix, double-check it at many different playback levels on different systems.

just my 2 cents.
Dubby music & free samples http://leocavallo.bandcamp.com
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

I produce my tracks in about 25 - 35 on your scale but i often go away from the computer, turn up the volume and just listen.

It's true that you trick your ears by playing loud but i think that dance music in regular are quite boring at lower volumes. If i listen to a track at low volume it's just sounds to me, but if i raise the volume i often think it's more groovy and danceable.

http://flickr.com/photos/82666463@N00/190111148
That's an image from the sleeve of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars by David Bowie, and it's there for a reason :D
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

impossible to say with your scale mate,
but your ears naturally compress loud sounds, so if you monitor too loudly, you are getting a completely distorted sense of the EQ.
if you monitor too quietly you will tend to push higher frequencies unnaturally, so that when you turn it up, it will sound harsher.

i monitor at a comfortable listening level, but what that is on your scale ive no idea.
Dopplereffekt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dopplereffekt »

At a loud volume, sounds sound more distinctive to me...
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

at loud level you hurt your ears and the overall mix might sound different for someone listening at low volume in the car for exemple.

i think its 82-85DBU.
but youll need a DBU meter. if you dont have, just use your ears to adjust to normal level to the room your working in. but dont try to make it a club.