Leftroom Records Launch Weekend

- wax
tolfrey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Leftroom Records Launch Weekend

Post by tolfrey »

Born in August of 2005 in Nottingham, England, Leftroom is the creation of Matt Tolfrey – Owner (Crosstown Rebels) and Shadi Megalla – A & R (Vibrant Sounds.) Musically it will be one of the first labels of its kind in the UK, showcasing the off centre house and minimal techno sound which is sweeping its way through clubland.

Distributed by Intergroove UK, the first release will surface on the 5th of December 2005 and will feature tracks by Pheek, Ali Khan, Luka & Lazo and MarcAshken. These tracks have already had airings at DC10 in Ibiza, Fabric in London and Stealth in Nottingham, before they even had time to be pressed to vinyl.

With some established artist’s lined up for remixes, and more tracks hidden away in the office, Leftroom looks to be an exciting addition to the forward thinking music scene that continually inspires us.

Label launches will be taking place on Friday 21st October at the Level in Bristol and Saturday the 22nd October at Stealth in Nottingham. These will feature sets and live shows from Matt Tolfrey, Shadi Megalla, Inxec and Claypoleology. Please e-mail matt@leftroom.com if you are gonna pop down to either.

Leftroom001 05.12.05

Following acclaimed releases on labels like Minus, Telegraph, and Contexterrior, Pheek kicks off the inaugural Leftroom release with some late night mutant techno. In creating a tune that although reassuringly tough and driving, continually adds to its own minutiae with busy layers of swift reversals, audio ticks and hi-hat snaps, Pheek has conjured up something special in ‘Remedy’. Full of aquatic squelches and hovering clicks and glitches, it sounds at points like there are swarms of incessantly buzzing metal insects darting between the flat bass strikes and menacing sub-bass. Definitely a must for fans of Plastikman and other minimal heroes, this tune will be bugging out the most sub-surface of listeners for a long while.

Next up on the EP is Ali Khan’s ‘Waterbomb’. Ali Khan, better known for his recent forays on Khalwild (Platzhirsch sub label), has another idiosyncratic take on the fucked up 4/4 sound, this time creating a pounding but dubby piece of minimalism. Taking spooky voices and laying them over icicle-cool clinking synths and Tejada-style off kilter rhythms, this is one for the afterparty.

The B-Side brings you a more straightforwardly stomping electronic take on Leftroom’s sound, beginning with the awesome Luka and Lazo. ‘Card’ is a tough big-room track which makes full use of minor explosions and retro rave noises to create a boisterous, quirky beast of a record. A pressing, urgent bassline and warping, warbling synth effects combine with slowed down sci-fi phazers to come in waves which are guaranteed to have their fullest effect at the peak of the night.

Finally, what can we say about newcomer Marcashken’s ‘Part-time Isolation’, except that it has the potential to be absolutely massive. Beginning with faltering, clattering beats, the tune soon catches its breath and develops into a full gallop and sweeps away everything in its path. The combination of driving bass and phasic loops of handclaps, rattling tin-pot percussion and stuttering electronic echoes creates a track so infectious that it gets under your fingernails like metal splinters. When the breakdown finally comes it sounds like a grinding post-human death rattle, all metallic gasps and arrhythmic heartbeats. It’s the end of the world soundtracked by Palette and Pokerflat. Don’t miss this.

Welcome to the extended family…

Leftroom Records - PO Box 8622 – Nottingham - England - NG19AJ - www.leftroom.com (website coming soon)
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

cool, congrats!

I thought it was supposed to be called "legroom"... why did that change?
tolfrey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tolfrey »

There was already a country and western label called legroom in the states, so i changed the name. Didn't wanna end up in court.
infizero
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by infizero »

congrats tolfrey & shadi .. bring on the first 12"!
djxlr8r
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djxlr8r »

Iv'e been very intrigued with this upcoming amazing label, looks very promising. Can't wait to get my copy of the first EP. Keep up the great work Tolfrey and Shadi :D
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

tolfrey wrote:There was already a country and western label called legroom in the states, so i changed the name. Didn't wanna end up in court.
I hear you on this!

yeah, I'm looking forward to put my hand on your first records too :)
tolfrey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tolfrey »

Mp3's will be available to purchase through our website at standard rates.

There will also be a limited number of promo's going on sale on the site two weeks prior to official release. So snap one up if you can. I think there is only about 50 available...

I'm sure your normal outlets will get hold of the release, intergroove are a big worldwide distributor.
jorgeds
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jorgeds »

Congratz 4 the label friends!

Nice artist selection for the first ep!

Love to see new Ali Khan tracks going out on vinyl :)

Best from Argentina,
Jorge