has anyone tried DCAM:Synth Squad from FXPansion?

- ask away
datalus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

has anyone tried DCAM:Synth Squad from FXPansion?

Post by datalus »

I've been kinda waiting for this release since I heard about it a couple months ago. Link here.

I'm on a tighter budget now, though, and I just wanted to see if anyone thinks these are worth their price. Thanks :)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

not gonna get them myself but I've heard some really good things.

i don't think there'll be many better software analogue emulations around and a good price for the 3.
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minormal »

my copy arrives tomorrow, il let you know what i think.
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minormal »

Well iv got this now and have been playing on it all night. The sound quality is high but dont think it stands up to the hype.

I still think its great value as you get alot for the £160 and I mean a lot.

Demo the waldorf largo, i thought that was really good.
sherman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sherman »

minormal wrote:Well iv got this now and have been playing on it all night. The sound quality is high but dont think it stands up to the hype.

I still think its great value as you get alot for the £160 and I mean a lot.

Demo the waldorf largo, i thought that was really good.
Really? I heard you'd be far better saving the couple extra bills and getting a Blofeld?

How did you find the CPU usage of the synth squad? I've heard its a little... taxing?
-- sherman
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minormal »

The largo is half the price and has a couple of extra features such as sub-oscillators. Although I imagine there are also one of two features the blofled offers which the largo does not. I havnt tried a blofeld so cant honestly comment on it.

The cpu for synth squad is pretty intense although I have a mac pro so dont notice it.

The more I use it the more im starting to like it. I wouldnt say its the most instantly appealing synth, you really need to work with it. Definitively over hyped.
sherman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sherman »

minormal wrote:The cpu for synth squad is pretty intense although I have a mac pro so dont notice it.

The more I use it the more im starting to like it. I wouldnt say its the most instantly appealing synth, you really need to work with it. Definitively over hyped.
I'll have a look then, I think. Yeah, the whole Mau5 thing kinda put me off a bit at first. Do you find you're working with all the instruments, or one or two in particular? How about Fusor? It'd be nice to have a fairly tightly integrated set of synths with a broad range. Kinda like a mini 'komplete' 8)
-- sherman
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minormal »

Probably just strobe to be honest which is really very good! Cypher is great also but a steep learning curve. Ill stick with it though as I know it is capable of great things. Then theres Amber, the string machine which is great sounding but doubt i will use it that much. Surprisingly good for bass sounds though. Im working on a track to demo the synth squad, ill upload it when its done.

Fusor is a tough cookie to crack. I was appealed to it for the advanced step sequencer but cant get good results with it. Eloquence by sugar-bytes looks more flexible so may just end up using that. The thing is with fusor, its meant to layer up to 3 synths and apply effects etc like Kore but I find doing this in your DAW to be much more flexible and quicker. Maybe its because I simply need to spend more time with it.

The best thing about these synths in my opinion is the fact they all are dry i.e no effects. Any synth that can sound as good as they do dry truly are good synths in my book. Think Nord for example. I wish all soft synths had an option to turn off the effects in there presets as it gives you a much better idea of how good the quality is.